• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP229

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
first off:

1986 xj
2.8L v6
909 torqueflite
np229

now onto the questions:

1.Do I need a SYE with the 229? There does not seem to be too much info on this tranfer case

2. What fluid or grease is needed for the transfer case?

1986 xj
2.8L v6
909 torqueflite
np229

Are you sure you have an NP229? My understanding was that the XJ got the NP228, but FSJs got the NP229. 228s have a centre diff; 229s have a viscous coupling instead.

1.Do I need a SYE with the 229?

229s as used in FSJs should have a fixed yoke, so no SYE should be necessary. I believe the NP228 was the same, but could be wrong. In either case, it would really help to know if we're talking about the NP228 or the NP229.

There does not seem to be too much info on this tranfer case

The NP231 and NP242 were popular swaps for the 228 and 229 - aftermarket support is much better for them, and unlike the 228 and 229 they're not vacuum-shifted.

2. What fluid or grease is needed for the transfer case?

As mentioned earlier, regular ATF.

I guess, in that case, if a swap... How hard is it? Which is the better of the 2? And will it get rid of the vacuum lines for the transfer case?

man, put a cable on that vacuum motor and use that bitch, that thing is FN bombproof, already has a fixed rear output yoke (no SYE necessary) and locks in low.

just look at it, it's almost the same size as that puny little V6.

if you have the "stick in a beercan" front driveshaft you gotta change that, it will not last, most did not have that style though, so no worries

I think I have the stick in a beer can front driveshaft :( One more thing to change out....

Swapping out the vacuum for a cable pull sounds like a plan

Back