• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ranger wheels

HuntMarsh

NAXJA Forum User
'90 xj 4.0 4x4

came across a decent set of 31's mounted on some old rims off a '92 ranger.
here's a link to the exact rim
second one down.
http://www.originalwheels.com/ford-wheels/ranger1991rims.php

was under the impression that they would bolt right up, but quickly found out this was not the case.
they bolt up fine, but i can only tighten the lugs about 1/4 of the way down, and it seems as though the hole in the middle does not clear the center hub. backspacing does not appear to be an issue.

anybody experience this little problem before and/or know what's going on here? both new and old rims are 5/4.5

You will need to grind a little out of the center hole in the rim so that the wheel will fit the jeep hub/axle shafts

You can use a die-grinder, or round file if you need the exercise.

Ford uses "hub centric" wheels and Jeep uses "lug centric"

yep... centerbore is a little too small. I ran into the same issue with the Crown Vic rims I got for my MJ (I needed cheap 16" 5x4.5 wheels.)

Also make sure you get longer lug studs if necessary, some alloy wheels are pretty thick and you won't get adequate thread engagement. I picked up a set off summitracing that are REALLY long, in fact I might have to cut the ends down. I'll post up how well they fit, the spline diameter was a bit larger than stock (only a few thou over, I think it was 0.625" vs 0.618".)

Back