• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad axle need advice

EFR98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
After work I started getting the XJ ready for the season. First thing in order was to replace the wheel bearing and at the same time the u joint. Well... After I cleaned out the bore I inserted the cap and noticed it can go almost all the way through without any force. So I have a bad axle? I did put it together. So should I get a new axle or weld the caps? Thanks

The u-joint cap on a front axle yoke I guess? What did the old one feel like coming out? What did you do to clean out the yoke? which side it the loose cap in, the stub or the axle shaft? just one cap feel lose?

Sorry I wanted to be more descriptive on the first post but I had my kids crying to go home. Anyway... Its the right inner half and I used brake clean and a shop rag. It came out pretty easy. Slight tap of the hammer. I use the vise and hammer method and I think with all the times I've replaced them I may have finally messed something up (yoke).

Caps on inner axle u-joint are held in place with c-clips. Don't understand how they could be loose. And, don't understand how/why you "fix" or "maintain" them by taking them apart.

If the axle u-joints are loose...replace them...completely.

Sounds like the ears on the yoke of the inner shaft are egged/stretched outta round. Shaft = trash, get another one.
X2 get a new shaft, you can tack weld the cup to get you by for a bit, till you find a shaft. But don't drive it on the highway, if it explodes it may take out the inner c.

Flyfisher--- I was installing a new joint

Thanks guys did some searching last night and found a right shaft at a yard close to where I work. Got it for $50 and looks tons better than the one on the rig. Working on removing the old u joint and pressing in my 760s tonight.

Back