• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

burnt relay!!! need some help

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
so today i was on my way back from wheelin in the snow... and for no reason the relay for my fog lights started smoking and got super hot..(really stinky too) i was or had not been using them at all... i was driving on a really bumpy road for 13 miles atleast... i put another relay in and its yet to do this again everything works fine light and swith ok.. has anyone else had this happen before?

relays fail, it happens especially on cheaper ones? bumpy roads dont help.
be glad you were in the vehicle when it happened!

so today i was on my way back from wheelin in the snow... and for no reason the relay for my fog lights started smoking and got super hot..(really stinky too) i was or had not been using them at all... i was driving on a really bumpy road for 13 miles atleast... i put another relay in and its yet to do this again everything works fine light and swith ok.. has anyone else had this happen before?

Relay contacts can weld themselves together due to high amp draw and coils can overheat due to resistance build up which can cause the problem you described, but you should check the wiring to ensure there isn't a intermittant problem that caused the relay to overload.....

Back