• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minimum Rig Requirements

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
SierraFest is an Official NAXJA run, hosted by the Sierra Chapter. That means that this run will be open to MEMBERS ONLY.

Minimum Requirements:
  • 33"+ tires
  • At least 1 FULL locker
  • If you have stock steering you must carry spares
  • No D35's or 27 spline 8.25's unless you have multiple spare axle shafts and knowledge to change them.
  • Spare parts including spare D30 shafts, drive shaft u-joints, spares for whatever non-standard parts installed on your rigs, a full set of tools and the knowledge to use them.
  • Mini skids or reinforced LCA brackets, a t-case skid, and a gas tank skid HIGHLY recommended. These are things that are REALLY HARD to fix on the trail!!
PLUS the equipment required according to NAXJA bylaws:
  1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
  2. First aid kit
  3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
  4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
  5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
    • Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
    • Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
    • D-Rings
    • Shackle/Clevis
  6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
  7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

Thanks,
Billy

Last edited:
just sayin.... i wheeled a D35 ON 33s many many many times on the Rubicon with not one broken shaft :) .

just sayin.... i wheeled a D35 ON 33s many many many times on the Rubicon with not one broken shaft :) .

The minimum requirements are there to ensure we have as few hang ups as possible along the trail. Can you run the Rubicon on 31's and a D35? Yes you can. But this would make for a very long weekend if we dealt with multiple breakdowns along the way with a large group.

These minimum reqiurements are there to make sure everyone has a good time wheeling and not have it turn into a wrench fest.

Also, can we add 27 spline 8.25" to list with the D35 please? Didn't think of that.

The minimum requirements are there to ensure we have as few hang ups as possible along the trail. Can you run the Rubicon on 31's and a D35? Yes you can. But this would make for a very long weekend if we dealt with multiple breakdowns along the way with a large group.

These minimum reqiurements are there to make sure everyone has a good time wheeling and not have it turn into a wrench fest.

Also, can we add 27 spline 8.25" to list with the D35 please? Didn't think of that.

yeah im not here to argue that...im 100% aware of why the requirments are set. thanks

maybe add mini skids? it might seem dumb but stock brackets can get torn off very easily!!

yeah the lower control arms are what im talking about.

my stock metal skid has worked nicely for the last 7 years lol...maybe some guys that don't have one should check out the JY...tcase skid is a maybe...on 33s you should be just fine with the right lines picked, the stock tcase skid just hangs up on everything but would be better then nothing if you're really worried :)

Last edited:
I think I still have 27 spline 8.25 shafts any member that asks can have. They need a few wheel studs if I remember. Let me know and I'll dig them out.

Back to top for this one.

I got a question via PM the other day. The question was about the need to carry spare axle shafts for someone with upgraded higher spline count axle shafts. 30 spline D30, and 33 spline D44 shafts.

My answer was simple. If you have upgraded shafts then the odds of someone having a spare for you is slim. You will be allowed to come along, but keep in mind you will need some kind of back up plan should you break a shaft.

This run is about 4 months away. Time to start thinking about prepping your rigs. Go crawl under your rig and check over the front suspension. Take a good look at the control arm and track bar mounting brackets on the front axle and look for cracks. Check your frame for cracking near the track bar bracket. Check the 4 bolts that hold this bracket to the frame. Check your tie rod ends and track bar for worn joints. Have a friend move the steering side to side to see if any parts are worn. Now shake the wheel quickly from side to side while checking it all again.

Go crawl under your rig and check over the front suspension. Take a good look at the control arm and track bar mounting brackets on the front axle and look for cracks. Check your frame for cracking near the track bar bracket. Check the 4 bolts that hold this bracket to the frame. Check your tie rod ends and track bar for worn joints. Have a friend move the steering side to side to see if any parts are worn. Now shake the wheel quickly from side to side while checking it all again.

Having someone to help you out is a huge help when looking for loose components.

Check your leaf springs and shackles. Also check your frame mounts for damage.

My pile of crap:
standard.jpg

Looks like Letterman has his work cut out for him. :kissyou:

These requirements are only for the rubicon portion of the Sierrafest, correct? Or is the deer valley/slick rock portion separate?

Edit: does needing a FULL locker eliminate lunchbox lockers? I have an Aussie... Hopefully that's acceptable.

These requirements are only for the rubicon portion of the Sierrafest, correct? Or is the deer valley/slick rock portion separate?

Edit: does needing a FULL locker eliminate lunchbox lockers? I have an Aussie... Hopefully that's acceptable.

Only the Rubicon portion of the run has the strict guidelines.

The term full locker means that it fully locks, a true-trac or factory trac-lock would NOT be considered a full locker. Aussie or similar lunch box style lockers would be ok.

Check your axle shafts. This was a chromo shaft from the left front side.

standard.jpg

Just run it, whats the worst that could happen!!! :gag: :explosion

And even if it does, I am sure someone will want to drag your junk all the way back to pavement! :kissyou:

This run is about 6 weeks away. Time to finish up all those nagging little projects before the big run.

Remember to get your lower control arm brackets welded on.

Check you rig out, crawl under it and just look around. check you suspension bolts. Check your driveshaft u-joints. With all the water bound to be on the trail you need to check these now.

Back