• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a 97 xj, it has problems

machinisttx

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj, 4x4 with 4.0 and aw4.

Problem 1: The check engine light is on. I have a code scanner but didn't take it with me, so I don't know what codes are present. If I go back to look again and scan the codes, are there any in particular that are dealbreakers?

Problem 2: it has a serious "dead spot" in the throttle. I thought it was going to die pulling out for the test drive. After getting up to about 30 mph, the throttle was responsive and the 4.0 felt like it ran fine. Plenty of power, possibly more than my parent's 96 model.

Problem 3: has a rattle/click coming from the driver's side front end. I'm not sure if it's suspension or the ujoint for the front axle on that side(4x4). I didn't notice it being worse going over bumps, mostly just when turning.

They quoted me something like $4600 for it. I'm thinking if it's relatively minor stuff I might offer them $3500 and see if they take it. Ideas/opinions?

$4600 is way out of line for a 97 with "issues". How many miles on it?

Pull the codes and post the EXACT numbers back here for comment. Guessing is futile.

#1 and #2 could be related.

I'd offer 1500 with issues, or maybe 2500 with none. How's the body, paint, and interior?

Sounds like a bad TPS, O2 sensor, plugged exhaust/cat at first guess, but can't tell anything for sure without pulling the codes.

Sheesh I got a 99 fully working with 150k 4x4 4.0L Sport (power everything) for 2500! in 08 and that price was competitive. Id offer them 1500 like he said and if they say no walk. That price is so wrong!

Wayyyy too much money. But depending on whats wrong with it, use that to bargain. Even if you can do the work yourself dont tell them that. Do a little research if your intersted in that Jeep find out how much repairs could cost. Go back and if it could need $1500 worth of work take 1500 off the price tag. Sounds like they're trying to make a quick buck off you though. I think I would keep looking for another rig.

Assuming the Jeep has at least 150K on the odometer; the Kelly Blue Book quotes that year vehicle in GOOD condition at $2200 and in fair condition at $1700; so you can figure its worth from there.

I've been looking seriously for about a month, sort of half looking for about three months. The price tag is pretty typical for any late 90's 4x4 xj that runs within a 200 mile radius. :( They are few and far between here. Looked at a different one a week or so ago with 200+k miles and it was around the same price.

Mileage is 167k. The body is straight, but it does have some dings/scratches. One of the bumper pads on the front has been mashed a little, nothing too serious. Interior is pretty clean.

One of the bumper pads on the front has been mashed a little, nothing too serious. Interior is pretty clean.

check the front frame horn and the bumper mounts really well. It does not take much of an impact to really hose the bumper mounts with the stock bumper.

I agree with everyone else that the price is way too high for what you're getting. I see XJ's in comparable condition going for $2000-3000 all the time around Oregon. I even saw one a few weeks ago that needed a crankshaft position sensor. It was a 98 with under 160k and they wanted $800 for it. Would you ever consider buying one out of your area?

Just an example:
Approximately 1900 miles between Oregon and Texas. That's around 7 tanks of fuel given 275 miles per tank freeway driving. Given approximately $50 per tank that's around $350 for gas. Say a one-way flight costs you $200, you could be into an XJ with possibly lower miles and no rust for $2500-$3500.

Just a thought. It really depends on how badly you want an XJ and how much time you have. You might try this site: http://www.crazedlist.org/ . It lets you search all of Craigslist and might aid in finding the perfect XJ for you.

Last edited:
Recently bought ....

95 XJ Sport 4 Door 4X4 Auto Tran ( 180K Miles ) $1,000
After inspect and minor repairs + tax/tags $1,500 0n the road.

95 XJ SE 2 Door 4X4 5 Speed ( 135K Miles ) $1,500
After inspect and minor repairs + tax/tags $2,100 0n the road.
This one needed the rear brakes completely overhauled.

We are now looking for another one, probably a 96 to keep some commonality in parts among them.

If I was putting out $4,600 it would have to be for a trouble free 1999 or new with warranty. Having said all of that SNOW tends to drive up 4X4 prices around here and I have seen $1,000 to $2,000 bumps in pricing because of the snow.

Wait till next month and the prices will come back down.

I agree with everyone else that the price is way too high for what you're getting. I see XJ's in comparable condition going for $2000-3000 all the time around Oregon. I even saw one a few weeks ago that needed a crankshaft position sensor. It was a 98 with under 160k and they wanted $800 for it. Would you ever consider buying one out of your area?

Just an example:
Approximately 1900 miles between Oregon and Texas. That's around 7 tanks of fuel given 275 miles per tank freeway driving. Given approximately $50 per tank that's around $350 for gas. Say a one-way flight costs you $200, you could be into an XJ with possibly lower miles and no rust for $2500-$3500.

Just a thought. It really depends on how badly you want an XJ and how much time you have. You might try this site: http://www.crazedlist.org/ . It lets you search all of Craigslist and might aid in finding the perfect XJ for you.

I refuse to fly, and driving that far is well, ridiculous IMO. If I'm going to have to go to that much trouble, I'll just buy another mid/full size car for the wife and spend everything else on my K5.

Thanks for the link. :)

Back