• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Motor in an XJ?

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched but everything I came up with had to do with OBD-I to OBD-II and '05 wrangler motors to '92ish Cherokees (which from what I could tell will not work).

I'm looking at buying a low mileage stroked motor from a 97 Wrangler for my 96 Cherokee. The first issue that I was looking at was the oil filter as it comes off perpendicular to the block on the TJ, and mine is parallel, but I found my answer to that here:

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

Basically I'm asking if all of my Cherokee accessory (A/C, Alternator, P/S) brackets will bolt up to the Wrangler block? I'm guessing the answer is yes and that the only difference is the bracketry (I'm pulling everything from the XJ to bolt to the TJ motor).

I know for a fact that I won't have a place for my temp gauge sender because they switched over to a single gauge sometime in 96, but I'm planning on drilling and tapping a hole for it in the T-stat housing. Unless someone has a better idea (i.e. part # for a sensor that has 3 wires that I can tap my gauge wire into).

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It is a Precision Engines Wrangler Stroker motor.

Last edited:
Edit: Disregard my comment about PS pumps. Somehow I thought 97 into 92. Your 96 should be same PS setup.

The power steering pump is more than just brackets. The pump itself is different and the intake manifold castings are unique because of the pump mounting bosses. You can use either setup, just need to use all related parts from the same vintage.

Last edited:
I swapped a 97 wrangler engine in my 95xj. I had to swap the intake too because of the ps pump as stated in previous post. I did the sending unit in the t stay housing. Mine reads hotter than it used to. Otherthan that pretty straight forward.

Alright, he took my offer so when I get the motor in a week or so I will find out for sure, but again, I don't forsee any problems.

Back