• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP !!!!E-12 Bellhousing Bolts!

XJBeast96

NAXJA Forum User
trying to drop tranny on my 95 4.0 5speed. I found the top E-12 bolts half ground off.....I can not get my cutoff wheel in there with out hitting the bellhousing....any suggestions????? Thank you

You could try hammering a 12-pt socket of some size over it.

Other than that go at it with a die grinder.

the rounded bolt extrators from your ghettoist local parts store work wonders on this thing. if you work on jeeps, and like to XXXX shit up at the worst times... this extrator kit will serve you well, it has me.

I had to weld a steel rod to one a few years ago to break it loose, it rounded off on me with the E-12 socket. Then I cut the rod off and was able to turn it out by hand. I think the heat of the weld helped to loosen it up some, it was surprisingly easy to break loose with a 12" long piece of 3/8" steel rod.

I had to drop the engine down to the front axle so that I would have enough room to get the welding gun in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I Broke the extractor trying this. I was able to borrow a plasma cutter and removed the bolt heads.... Trans out, flywheel heading to machine shop today...THanks Again

Thanks for all the suggestions. I Broke the extractor trying this. I was able to borrow a plasma cutter and removed the bolt heads.... Trans out, flywheel heading to machine shop today...THanks Again

there is much controversy regarding machinig the flywheel.
The FSM says you can't do it, some here have done it with no issues, some have done it and had to shim the slave cylinder so it would work properly.

I'd do some searching so you'll be prepared in case it doesn't work, and you'll have an idea of what's wrong.

good timing on your post. I sent it down to machine shop, and for $55 they would machine it. Called a local parts shop we deal with here at bmw and they sold me a new for $90.

Back