• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which starter?

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm just going to replace my starter and get it over with. It is still starting very slow. I'm also having a remote start installed and want to make sure it will work before it is done. So I priced a starter for 99 xJ and it is over 200 with core charge. So just for fun I priced a 96 xj starter and it was under 100 with core. Will this work? I would love to save 130 and get this thing working. I've searched and saw a few people say they will work but I want to hear experience or property who have done it.

Preston

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I recently replaced the starter in my '96 with a new Remy brand (remember GM's Delco Remy?) from Advance Auto for about $100. Real nice piece, and now it starts with a vengance! Obviously, I didn't price a '99 piece, but I don't see where it would be all that different. When I'm hunting for a part, especially from the junkyard, I'll pull up a site like Rockauto, find the part and its number for my car, and then look at other years near mine, to see what will interchange.

Interested in this aswell! Was pricing starters on RockAuto, and the prices match up with these.... $100 less for the 96 starter. Weren't 96-99's basically identical mechanically?

You may (likely) have to change the connections to match the harness or starter but they do interchange.

I believe the only difference is the wire to the solenoid has a slide-on spade connector versus the ring connector on the older ones/ Easy enough to convert to save $100.

In order to use older/cheaper one, you must clip the stock connector, and splice a new o-ring type connector. Doesn't hurt it and saves you lots of cash.

Back