• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maybe dumb q, but what is this?

katuah

NAXJA Forum User
Was looking at how to potentially mount a crossover rear shock bracket, when I noticed this box that I hadn't really ever paid any attention to before. What the heck is it?

weirdbox.jpg

I wondered if at one time this thing had ABS, and maybe that's a control module? I have the 8.25 rear with no ABS...and have since 1999 when I bought it... weird. If this is an ABS module, can I remove it? And how?

Also, has anyone tried running the Cross Enterprises shock hoop without moving the lower mounting locations?

Some late-model vehicles mount the evapourative control cannister back by the fuel tank - since that's the largest source of evapourative emissions.

That's my first thought. I'd trace the lines to see where they go, but I'm willing to bet that the fluid lines will bypass it entirely, and you'll probably have just two vapour lines (one in and one out.)

The rubber has fallen off your bump stop.:spin1:

I noticed this because I just bought a new set for mine.
Got the extended ones with urethane inserts.

yep, that is the evap canister... 98 (97?) and later have it there iirc. You can move it by extending/shortening hoses and putting it somewhere else but removing it will cause a CEL and also make your jeep smell like an explosion waiting to happen.

Replace that bumpstop, too... if you come down on something hard while wheeling and compress the suspension fully on both sides at the same time, you'll probably bust the bearing retention boss out of the rear output housing on your transfer case when the slip yoke gets a bit too friendly with the output shaft. Then the rear output seal will get chewed up, all the fluid will end up on the ground / cat next time you go on the highway, the chain will stretch, and some of the teeth on the shifter parts inside the transfer case will get worn down till it won't stay in 4wd. Don't ask how I know this :anon:

yep, that is the evap canister... 98 (97?) and later have it there iirc. You can move it by extending/shortening hoses and putting it somewhere else but removing it will cause a CEL and also make your jeep smell like an explosion waiting to happen.

Replace that bumpstop, too... if you come down on something hard while wheeling and compress the suspension fully on both sides at the same time, you'll probably bust the bearing retention boss out of the rear output housing on your transfer case when the slip yoke gets a bit too friendly with the output shaft. Then the rear output seal will get chewed up, all the fluid will end up on the ground / cat next time you go on the highway, the chain will stretch, and some of the teeth on the shifter parts inside the transfer case will get worn down till it won't stay in 4wd. Don't ask how I know this :anon:

that was quite the detailed list of traumatic events... haha.

check on the bump stop. I am going to put in longer ones. it's on the "as soon as the weather warms up" list.

the 2 hoses running in/out of it didnt really look like brake hoses, evap canister makes a lot more sense. I may try to relocate it. I've been looking at getting a crossover shock mount and I think it would be in the way of the one I want. Any of you moved this thing? If so, where did you put it?

Might as well get your drill and tap ready. All 4 of my bumpstop bolts snapped off when putting on new Daystar extended ones. you can drill them out and tap the hole a little bigger for some other bolts. I had better luck with rear upper shock mounts!

Oddly enough, I've had pretty good luck with those bump stop bolts. I think my current ratio is 11 to one for whole removals. Way way way more than I've had with upper shock bolts (I'm about 3 to 13 on those!). They use a very coarse thread. Take good care not to shear them at the beginning, wiggle back and forth, saturate with penetrant, wiggle some more, etc. If they start to turn, don't get cocky, stop when they fight back, oil the crap out of them, back them in again and redo. Sometimes you get lucky, and if you do, it's worth taking ten times longer to get them out whole.

Yeah, I've never had a bump stop bolt or a rear sway bar bolt break on me. I have broken every single rear shock bolt I have touched.

I do tend to hoss on chit. New definition of "breaker bar"

Back