• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 chop with a 97 door????

They are two different styles. The obvious big difference is that the 97 will be alot more rounded them the 92. The tail light openings are different as well because of the roundness. And I believe(trying to remember) the 97 has the hinges on the inside and the 92 has them on the outside....

The hinge mounting is very different... it will take a significant amount of body work.

Everything is possible, but I don't think you want to try this one really.

i mean like i am just chopping the top off and welding it to the back i am just trying to get an idea of how this is gonna work because this is my first time im not hooking up the hinges and i have read a hole bunch of postings about the hinges not lining up

oh, you're using the hatch to close off the body after a chop... how'd I misread that?

It should line up I think, I know the side body lines are the same, just not sure if the roofline above the drip edge is the same.

body lines are close, so making the chop look good will be fairly easy. actually for that, you want the 97+ hatch as it is metal, the early models arent. another option is the cab of a manche if you can find one.

idk how seemless you are trying to make it look though.

It will line up alright, but keep in mind the edges of the roof are not square. The roof gets narrower as you move toward the rear. There will be gaps to deal with, nothing that can't be fixed with a few minutes, a welder and a body hammer though.

ok thats what i am expecting with the curves and everything at the top. its just going to be one big project. thamks guys for all your help

does anyone have any ideas on how to do the bed? even tho it is only like 2 feet long idk if i need an actual bed or if i can make one out of sheet metal

Modify the rear to fit a Comanche tailgate + maybe use one of those bed extenders?
Make a new rear bumper and relocate tail lights there?

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1051518

i'm in the process of doing the same thing right now. i'm almost to the point where i'm going to be grafting in the rear hatch. i half assed lined it up and it is close enough.

one thing i planned on doing was keeping the rear section of the roof when i cut it out. it has the termination of the ridges on the roof. then taking that section and splicing it into the top of the new hatch. to try to make it look more factory.

i saw another thread where they did that. maybe it was rcman. not sure

one thing i planned on doing was keeping the rear section of the roof when i cut it out. it has the termination of the ridges on the roof. then taking that section and splicing it into the top of the new hatch. to try to make it look more factory.

i saw another thread where they did that. maybe it was rcman. not sure
This is a good idea from a few standpoints. Yes, I did that but I'm not the only one who has.

Few shots:
(red hatch in this photo was also cut out, also don't mind the gaps they became and have to be much tighter)
2nd_RoofCuts2.jpg

Final position of the hatch:
RearSetup_MockSide.jpg

After some sheet metal and fresh paint:
RearHatchBlendedCPillar.jpg

Back