• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS question

*Jonathan

NAXJA Forum User
I got codes p0705 and p0700. Pretty sure my NSS is going out since my backup lights don't work. Jeep drives fine for now and even starts in Park. I'm going to pull it and clean it this Sunday.

Does an NSS failure ever make a running jeep stop running? I'd like to drive this thing around for the weekend until I can fix it this Sunday. Some snow is headed my way.

Also.. if it comes to it. I learned that I can bypass the nss to get it started. Hopefully it will never come to a point that I'll not be able to start it, but would I leave the jumper in the pins after it starts? Or do I remove the jumper before shifting to drive?

Sorry for a remedial question.

J

NSS won't stop it, just make the starter not crank. And you can jump that right at the starter, from the big wire to the small one.

I'd test the NSS with a meter before tearing it off for the back up lights.

I too get p0700 & p0705, but do not have problems with my backup lights or starting the jeep. First day the codes showed up it wouldn't shift into 4th, next day shifted fine but codes remained. Delete the codes again and they come right back. So I have codes and no symptoms now. Any advise on diagnosing or confirm if I should look at the NSS would rock! Thanks.

I did have my trans rebuilt last year, but I've put thousands of miles on without issues.

I too get p0700 & p0705, but do not have problems with my backup lights or starting the jeep. First day the codes showed up it wouldn't shift into 4th, next day shifted fine but codes remained. Delete the codes again and they come right back. So I have codes and no symptoms now. Any advise on diagnosing or confirm if I should look at the NSS would rock! Thanks.

I did have my trans rebuilt last year, but I've put thousands of miles on without issues.

I would definitely start with cleaning the NSS. The hardest part really is getting it off the side of the tranny. There are a number of good writeups out there, including GoJeeps.

Had the exact same codes right after buying my 98. I did the clean and re-adjust procedure as outlined here in 9 degree weather outside one day. It took all of about an hour. It restored full function with no codes popped for the last 20,000 miles.

Getting the codes and everything working is not all that unusual. Just means the NSS is not exactly where it needs to be. When I cleaned/adjusted mine last summer, I started with it full clockwise in a no-start position snd rotated it CCW until it started and the back up worked. Codes every week or so, I then continued to make very small CCW adjustments until the codes stopped. As I did not have any help, this worked for me. Some report that if you have someone watching the back up lights, you can find the center of the adjustment easier. Lots of threads on it...

Back