• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help. Chipped pulley.

BigGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I just pulled in to do some work on the Jeep, popped the hood, and noticed this. The pulley on the power steering pump is chipped. Is this something that will make me park it until fixed? Or is it something that I can drive with until I get the new part?

Also, how easy is it to fix? Do they sell replacement pulleys or do I need a whole new pump? And why is the pulley made of plastic? But most importantly, can I drive it like this right now?

Sorry if any of these questions are posted elsewhere, but I'm away from my computer and all I have is my phone right now.

aefdd688-4863-319f.jpg

aefdd688-4896-c69e.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The pulleys can be bought at Autozone for about $10, but from the look at your belt, it isn't causing any problems.

I wouldnt worry about it. They sell just the pulley, but it has to be pressed off and then back on with the new one. If there is no sharp part to cut or chew a belt, then I would just run with it.

The pulley is NPS 73079 at NAPA, $15 locally.

Mines been chipped almost exactly like that for a year or two, but doesn't seem to be damaging the belt.

soften it down with a dremel or file or sand paper or something and leave it.

my PS pump on my old XJ was chipped almost exactly like that for like 2 years and was fine til it went to heaven

Alright, thanks guys. I guess I'll just leave it alone and concentrate on more important fixes for now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

They do, but please turn off the automatic signature spam on Tapatalk :thumbup:

I busted a chunk out of the PS pulley on my MJ a few days ago by accident, it's getting a new pump when I replace the intake/exhaust manifold and PS hoses anyways so I'm just leaving it alone till then.

Last edited:
Back