• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 engine in 96 xj temp guage issue

XJ4JOE

NAXJA Forum User
I got a deal on a 97 4.0 that replaced my tired 96 engine. everything is up and running fine but one difference I didn't account for my 96 had 2 seperate temperature sensors and the 97 does not. It only seem to affect the temperature gauge but I could be wrong.
Has anyone run across this problem? Is there to make it work without drilling & tapping into the head?

I believe you can tap into the sensor in the t-stat housing..

If you want your temp gauge or idiot light to work,you need to install a factory sensor/sender in the head or block.Or go aftermarket-and place in the thermostat housing.-block-hose-or where ever.
Factory sensor in T-stat housing sends info to the ECU.

I would just rather not drill & tap into a perfectly good engine and risk any damage when I just got it running again. Is there an aftermarket option or a way to tap into the wiring to send the signal to the temp gauge?

You could tap into the thermostat housing and put the factory sensor there-but its thin metal and could crack.There may be an adapter fitting that would allow it to go into one of the black drain holes---
Or put a "T" fitting in the sender hole in the stat housing and pick up the temp there. You would need to extend the wire for the gauge too. Thread size is all standard pipe size.

I run the temp sensor for the aux fan the above way....

Well the good news is the new head does have a temp sending unit on it.
The bad news is the guy may have lied to me about the year of the motor but it was still in way better shape than mine.

can you find any stampings on the motor? A part number (usually 8 digits followed by 1 or 2 letters on a Chrysler part) can be used to narrow the year down a lot, at the very least.
Block part numbers:
87 - 8350 3400
88-90 - 8350 5110
91 - 0462 6155 (short block motor assembly, couldn't find a bare block number)
92 - 0463 8959 (short block)
93 - 0472 8988 (short block)
94-95 - 0477 8882 (short block)
96-98 - 0488 3025 (short block)
99 - 0501 3116AA (short block)
00-01 - 0501 3116AB (short block)

interesting. my 96 had the same coolant temp setup as my 97 (no sensor in the back of the block)

what i did when i put a 98 motor in my 91 was just drill and tap a hole in the t-stat housing for the old style sensor.

it read a little higher than it was supposed to being there though

Back