• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(non-jeep) WTB: photography lighting setup

ClarkPeach

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to take my automotive photography to a little higher level. Just looking for a couple of spot lights with stands (strobes would be good, too), and possibly some umbrellas. Trying to stay on a low budget so I can keep expanding my lens collection, too.

LMK what you have.

Clark

Check out Adorama in NYC. There are also inexpensive setups on ebay. I used to be a professional photographer and did a ton of cars and motorhome pix for advertisements so if you want to pick my brain pm me and I will give you my phone number.

You will most likely want strobes with modeling lights running into umbrellas or soft boxes to start with. The more watt seconds you can afford the better. To do a pro job, you will probably want at least a half dozen light sources, but you can probably start with 2-3 if you work hard at staging. Shooting outside means you are at the mercy of the sun and clouds. Large scrims help alot, and you can build them up yourself for a few bucks. Also, a can of dulling spray can really be handy in taming reflections.

Heck, I still have a 4x5 sitting on the shelf that hasn't been used in 20+ years.

Check out Adorama in NYC. There are also inexpensive setups on ebay. I used to be a professional photographer and did a ton of cars and motorhome pix for advertisements so if you want to pick my brain pm me and I will give you my phone number.

You will most likely want strobes with modeling lights running into umbrellas or soft boxes to start with. The more watt seconds you can afford the better. To do a pro job, you will probably want at least a half dozen light sources, but you can probably start with 2-3 if you work hard at staging. Shooting outside means you are at the mercy of the sun and clouds. Large scrims help alot, and you can build them up yourself for a few bucks. Also, a can of dulling spray can really be handy in taming reflections.

Heck, I still have a 4x5 sitting on the shelf that hasn't been used in 20+ years.

Thanks for the info! :) Actually, if I could pick your brain for just a wee bit...

I am looking at a new 600w monolight strobe and softbox kit, but don't want to spend the 400+ dollars on a power supply. So, my question is this: would it work to run a power inverter off of the optima in my XJ with a power strip to feed the strobes?

Not sure, but it almost seems to me that it may not give it a stable/consistent supply of power without paying 400+dollars for a high quality inverter (same as the "true" photog. power supply).

The real problem is that strobes have to be charged up. After you fire, they start charging. It is a HUGE surge, called inrush current. Most inverters will not handle it. It isn't so much a matter of regulation, but a matter of blowing the fuse or the inverter. For a split second, it is almost like a short. Some strobes limit that inrush, but most don't very much.

Back