• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Swap vs D44s?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it's inevitable: I've begun second-guessing myself.
I'm collecting parts for a WJ swap on my Dana 30. My primary goal is better brakes - steering isn't so bad with my paltry 2.5" lift.
While looking for a housing to bench-build (to keep my DD intact until a final 1-hour swap) I keep coming across Dana 44 front axles, including a lot of Waggy combos (F&R) for 500 or so.
How are the Waggy front discs? Ford? From CRASH's article, it seems these are the only D44s I really want to consider. Are the brakes comparable / better / worse than WJ stuff? Easier to rig steering?

My thinking is that if I can find a waggy D44 combo, I can bench build both axles, swap them in, & sell my current HP30 & ZJ'ed 29 spline 8.25 to recoup some cost. If I found the 44s geared, awesome.
Like I said though, my primary goal in all this is improved brakes.
So am I crazy, or should I stop buying parts for the WJ swap & start looking for 44's?

at 2.5" of lift, you'll be running arguably worse steering on a waggy D44... inverted T is less responsive than stock in good condtion. to run x-over youll need different knuckles.

brakes are better than a stock D30 with a waggy 44... you get larger rotors and calipers, but they're still single piston. comparable to a WJ 30? which is better? couldnt tell you.

i do think it is very impracticle of a swap if you dont plan on running 35s or larger.

While looking for a housing to bench-build (to keep my DD intact until a final 1-hour swap)

That won't work out like you're thinking if you're installing custom links. :roflmao:

If you're just looking for better brakes, Get a set of Black Magic pads and quality rotors. They are getting great reviews and are able to lock up 35s, and still have great pedal feel when cold.

honetly i would stay with a wj outtered dana 30 if u dont plan on going to 35's or bigger. i went with a ford hp 44 with waggy 6 lug outters (knuckles, hubs etc.) and the brakes are ok. i dont see a huge difference in stopping power. maybe they make a dual piston caliper and/or un upgraded brake booster.

Hmm... Emailed about Black Magic pads. 44 swap is ruled out... had to get realistic about the cost of brackets, labor & probable benefits. I'm not likely to ever put chromo shafts in anything or go to 35s, either.
Thanks!

Back