• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ transmission slipping?

dw9301998

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a 1997 xj and when im stopped at a light and i remove my foot from the break i hear and feel like a gunk. like something is binding up or slipping. it has a 3inch lift in the rear and a 2 in the front. the previous owner used 2 good size nuts on each of the bolts that bolt the cross member to the frame. could the drive shaft be at the wrong angle? could it be a bad u joint? the transmission has a larger cooler and a new torque converter. oh and i just replaced the tranny mount. could that be on back wards ? thanks

check the rear brakes over yet? or does it feel like its in the tranny? check trans fluid level and condition? how many miles? and can you describe what you hear better? i have no idea what a gunk is

You get the clunk when you release the brake to take off again? Sounds like sounding that was bound up letting loose? Try shifting to neutral before you stop. If the clunk goes away then it may be the rear drive shaft slip-joint at the transfer case needs lubed. It's a somewhat common problem.

Mine's doing this again and I need to re-grease it. You have to unbolt the shaft at the rear differential and slide the shaft out of the xfer case, grease the splines with a bearing grease and reassemble. If the output seal is leaking, you might consider replacing that while you're there.

it only does it when the jeep has been driving for a while and it only does it from a stopped position to a moving position. like at a light . it shifts fine throught the gears. it has a lot of miles on it, i will try the what u suggested, and it like a clunk lol. thanks for the info.

i have noticed issues like that with my old 8.25. had crappy shoes on it. brakes gradually got better the more you drove it, but when you stopped and started the brakes would stick for a second, and make a small clunk. might try some good shoes (i run wagner thermoquiets) and grease everything in there. not sure what ones were in that before tho. its since blown up and i never fixed it.

Does it feel like your rear brakes are grabbing just before you come to a complete stop? Does changing the rate of deceleration affect the intensity of the "clunk". I have had clunk issues in the rear that feel like they come from the center. Pretty sure it's just the shoes/drums. Haven't fixed it yet. Just an idea.

Back