• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need input on 4 cylinder header...

dasbulliwagen

NAXJA Forum User
Ive noticed recently that on cold startup I have an exhaust leak on my 1987 2.5 MJ exhaust manifold. Ive slowly been doing upgrades to the 2.5 and thought that if I have to pull that manifold I really just want to replace it with a header. Ive already done an electric fan conversion, a "cold" air intake tube, gutted cat, and a Flowmaster 50 series 2 1/4" muffler, and 4:10 gearing, all with minor performance gains, and no noticeable loss of low end torque. I know that nobody offers a header for the MJ/XJ 2.5, but have heard of people making ones from a YJ work. I am wondering if anyone out there has done this and which ones work best. I did a search and didnt come up with much in the lines Im looking for. Ive found them listed with Clifford, Pacesetter, Gale Banks, and Borla. Theres also a bit of a price difference between some of them. What is your experience with this? And I dont need any "Just swap a 4.0 in!" remarks. I know it would be the best, but it is not feasable for me right now or anytime in the near futurre. Thanks!

Clifford has a real header for the 2.5L. I built a performance 2.5L about a decade ago and loved it. It worked great on the trials but 85 mph was about all I could get out of it on the highway with 35's.

Back