• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starts but wont run?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
woke up this morning to head to work. i go out to start the jeep. it cranks and starts if i put my foot on the gas but sounds real funny and wont stay running if i let my foot off the gas...? Its had a hard time starting for the last few weeks. any ideas before i just start throwing money at it?

Thanks for any help

its a 97 4.0 auto if that helps

K so. it wont start inless i give it so gas. it will run as long as i have my foot in the gas, as soon as i let off the gas it dies immediately. it doesnt even really sound like it wants to try and run or idel.

could this be a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor or something else like spark plug, wires distributor?

Help please:dunno:

In this order...........

1. Load test your battery. A marginal battery CAN give the symptoms you are seeing.

2. Test two things. Fuel pressure with a gauge at the fuel rail and also the throttle position sensor. Both need to be ruled in or out early in the troubleshooting process.

3. Always review tuneup hardware when symptomatic. When was the last replacement of plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor?

ok battery and TPS are both pretty new within the last year. If it were a crankshaft sensor would it even crank/ run at all? by the way i cleaned my IAC but i guess it could still be bad? Sparkplugs/ wires etc.. probably need to be replaced but i really doubt that is it. Leaning toward the CPS, but really dont know much about it.

This is not likely a crank sensor issue. I stand by my recommendations above...........

This sounds either electrical (battery) or fuel related.

Newer batteries fail all the time. Don't rule it out.

And get a fuel pressure gauge on there. It is one of the first things a tech. in a shop would do.

Just for grins, pull a vacuum line loose, like the one to the fuel pressure regulator, leave the gas peddle alone, and see if it starts. If it starts and runs, I would suspect a stuck IAC that is not letting enough idle air in to the engine.

No parts, no pain, easy test.

It is part of the fuel pump "assembly" which consists of pump, regulator, filter, check valve. All in one assembly, located inside the tank on 97-01.

I knew there was a good reason I still drive Renix jeeps from the 80s! Hell why not stick the kitchen sink in the gas tank while we are at it?

Back