• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RED NECK RAN TROUBLE

jcshaney

NAXJA Forum User
Well early last summer I bought a red neck ram system ported gear box, ram, pump, hoses, every thing came from them. I did not get to install it till late summer when I did there was a lot of slack in the steering.I did not try adjust it till yesterday. I loosened the jam nut and turn the set screw 2 full rounds both ways a 1/4 turn at a time. nothing seems to help am i missing something or is there some thing wrong with the gear box? There is like 10-2 O'Clock slop in the steering going down the road pretty tuff to drive down the road and no this is not a dd just a week end worrier.:banghead:

Tightening it should of made a difference. If you tighten it too much you will feel it bind. Too loose and like you said alot of free play.

Tightening the gear box is a bad bandaid on a worn steering box. There should not be any slop in a fresh box, and doing what you did could mess it up. I assume you already looked at every piece of linkage/joint in the steering and found everything tight, and found that the steering shaft turns without the sector shaft/pitman arm turning to confirm that the slop you feel is actually in the box? You've confirmed that you don't have excessive roll of the tie rod with the ram attached?

If you truely do have slop in the box, send the box back......or get another box.

Yes all the steering tre and such are tight. The slop is in the gear box the sector shaft does not move. thanks for the info just wanted too make sure I wasn't looking past something simple before i try and call then too see what and how there warranty works.

Back