• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight relay harness doesnt work on high beam

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
finally got the ebay harness that i ordered.
the price was good
the description online was poor but here is what it had
no ugly yellow wire sheath like the eautoworks, it has black wire look and heat shrink.
built in inline fuse, (spade with covered holder)
2 40 amp relays.

i think most of the wiring was 18 gauge at the smallest, and up to 12 or 14 for some wiring.

only problem
i tried hooking it up and the high beams dont work...
i tried swapping the relays,
still didnt work.
low beams work, and appear brighter. but the high beams are no go.
this was testing it on my bronco, i will try it on the jeep too. but i doubt it will be different.
i emailed them about it and they are checking with thier tech. dept about it

does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?
thanks

Yeah, if it was pre-wired and was just a plug and play kind of deal, a bad connection somewhere on the high beam circuit would be the likely suspect. What were all the connections you made when wiring up this harness?

Or, maybe you got one for a 4 headlight vehicle.

it is definitely a kit for dual beam lights.

all there is to hook up are.
2 ground wires, one power wire, and then plug in the 2 headlights and one plug into the vehicle headlight harness.

just wondering if anyone had an idea of what went wrong.

i swapped relays but that didnt change anything, the lows still worked and the high didnt

Did you check all the connections. There may be a connection that didn't get assembled correctly.

If you have a VOM (multi-meter) you can test connections for continuity and voltage to verify where the voltage stops so you know whether it's a problem with a connection or a problem with the new headlight harness.

I'd bet that when it was assembled before shipping, they missed a connection or didn't make a good connection somewhere.

I bet its your grounds. My buddy had the same issues. He bought the harness for four bulbs. Two of the connectors don't work for high beams, I think they are designed for fog light use. He first had his bulbs hooked up to those connectors. Then when we used the right connectors the driver's side had a bad ground. Make sure you got a good ground. As said before using a multimeter will help you with this. I believe the correct plugs have 3 wires where the "fog light" plugs only have 2. Post up some pics of what you got.

here are pictures of what i received, i will start with the general pics, and then a pic with how it is supposed to be hooked up as far as i understand it.
the entire harness:
179210_617998214864_40304619_34987689_4067847_n.jpg

headlight plug:
168405_617998234824_40304619_34987691_7807286_n.jpg

connect to the vehicle:
180133_617998269754_40304619_34987692_7007752_n.jpg

2 relays (one high beam one low beam right?)
166442_617998284724_40304619_34987693_7026506_n.jpg

fuse holder with 30 amp fuse and a connector for the power source:
165679_617998314664_40304619_34987694_3311472_n.jpg

this kit is the same as the e autoworks, but has a fuse included.

here is how i was attempting to install it...
164122_617998184924_40304619_34987688_1352448_n.jpg

ah ha
that may have solved things for me.
one of the relays, is wired for the 4 main terminals,
30 85, 86, and 87
the other has wires going to 30, 85,86, 87 and 87a but neither relay has a terminal to accept 87a
they are both 4 pin relays, and one of them need to be a 5 pin i think....
i shoudl be able to test this with an extra relay i have

Sounds like they screwed up with the assembly and gave you two SPST relays instead of one SPST and one SPDT relay. They have it set up so the SPST relay controls on/off and the SPDT controls the high/low.

i think you are right, the high beams werent working so i can assume that that socket is supposed to have a 5 pin relay while the other socket just needs a 4 pin.
i have an extra 5 pin relay that i can test the harness with to verify.
now maybe they will refund me some money so i can pay for what was supposed to come with the kit!

now if only my wife would get home so i can test the dang harness out!
she needs her own jeep lol

Sorry my last post was after a long night at work. After thinking a minute I retract my earlier opinion about the SPDT relay. It would have to be two SPST relays one controling the low beams and one on the high beams. The way the factory wiring is set up If you had one SPST controling on/off and one SPDT relay controlling high/low only oneside would work.

here is what i found out last night:
i swapped in a relay i had, with the 5th pin(87a), and the harness finally worked!

here is how it is wired

relay 1 (5pin with pin 87a) (note i had to supply this relay, they gave me the wrong one for this socket!)
12v in pin 30
12volt out at pin 87 to the lights and 87a to the second relay (4pin)
85 is the activation wire and 86 is the ground

relay 2 (4 pin no 87a)
12volts in at pin 30 from pin 87a on the first relay
ground pin 85
pin 86 is activation wire
pin 87 is power out to the lights

so i just used a relay that i have for a spare from the jeep power dist block under the hood.
what kind is that spst (single pole single throw) or spdt (single pole double throw)

thanks

You don't need 5 pin relays for this. One relay has 2 output wires for the low beams and one has the 2 outputs for the high beams. Sounds like you just had a bad relay.

Back