• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 tech ??

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So. I'm building up to a WJ swap. If I can, I want to do it with an axle housing on the ground so as to minimze downtime to my rig.

I've got a line on a D30 with a disco housing, disconnect blocked off.
I read that the D30 disco requires a seal be put in if you want to run modern (non-disco) shafts. CRASH, in his D30 tech article, doesn't mention it.

I kind of have the impression that the seal is to plug the vacuum port, and if it has been blocked off, a plain jane D30 shaft of any description whatever (so long as it is the same width) will work without any leaks or surprises. Further, I think I could run WJ ball joints / knuckles, 2000-2001 XJ Hubs, etc without any issues.

Is this true?

My first axle build... lots to learn. Thanks for the help folks!

A regular long-side D30 shaft will work, but you need to install an axle seal. The seal will go on the inside of the disco housing. Search Google foe something like "warn block off seal" and you'll get the part number needed.

Edit: Make sure you install the weld-on hub spacer, too.

Back