• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a new guy here...got a few questions please

champ198

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone im new here and lookin to learn about some of the Jeep stuff.
looking at getting and older XJ to fix up and work with to make a crawler toy out of strictly off road use only. got a Harley im workin on that should be done in a month or so and gonna try and trade or sell it to get a starter project XJ
had one quick question for you all...i know most of the Jeeps have small 30 and 8.25 axles how tough are these things? i know they arent a Dana 80 but how long will they last. and also what kind of lift kit would you all suggest to start with...not looking for anything hard core like a 4 link yet just something to get it up in the air some but want to get a good kit to start with for now. would like to be able to get 35s at least under it.
looking forward to gettin a rig set up before summer so the wife and kids can go and do some wheelin.
thanks for any advise

main thing im looking at doing now is making a mild crawler for rocks and some mud. not wanting to go with anything like a 4 link of any kind yet...maybe in the future. jsut lift tires and wheels for now to starrt with to get the family some wheelin time.
i used to wheel some in the past but it was all pickups and never a jeep and did very little rock crawling
just looking for the best way to build it on a budget i guess is what im saying.
im hopeing to have about $4k to spend on it if i can. i figure around $1k for the jeep to start with then was planning on going with a Rough Country Long arm 6.5" kit with 35s
wanting to stay with stock drive train...maybe a little beefing it up but nothing major like axle swaps yet

D30 and D44... 7+ inch lift. Open front axle. I wheel as often as I can... and have yet to blow up the D30 with my 35x12.50's. A matter of time, I suppose. I am careful with the throttle, etc...

I guess it just depends on how ya drive.

Back