• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The New Project!!

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my new project!

100MEDIA95IMAG0048.jpg

It's a 96 Classic with 5spd 4wd. It has 238k on the dial but the motor is "blown".

I got it for $800 and it's a one owner vehicle and very very clean. The owner said that a sudden coolant leak resulted in a blown engine. I didn't even bother trying to start it until after I bought it and the only sound I can hear sounds somewhat like a ticking valve. There is oil/coolant down the passenger side of the engine so I'm suspecting a cracked head as there is a good amount of steam coming out of the exhaust.

This is my second Cherokee. I used to have a 2000 XJ for my first car that I did a little lifting on but ended up selling it after I got my 99 BMW 328is. Well the 328is gets a whole lot of miles on it and is just too expensive to be driving as much as I do, hell an oil change runs me $110 bucks! I'm stoked to get started as once I get the engine back up and running I'll be putting together a bastard lift (possibly w/ long arms) and possibly cutting off the back to make an apache!

Well to get started, what are a few places to find some good cylinder heads? I might settle for craigslist or a junkyard but if there is an affordable place to get one that's guaranteed to not be a POS I would rather do that! Oh and the oil pressure is still good so hopefully I wont have to replace the piston rings.

Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head are both extremely reputable vendors for replacement heads. Similar prices, slightly different warranties. Check them out....

If you have a cracked head, you might want to drop the oil pan and have a gander and check some clearances on some bearings before buying just a head, as you might be better off to get an entire different salvage yard engine.

Enjoy your '96!

I just checked both of their websites and they don't have Jeep heads?

Anyone know why this is?

No, but call them and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I found them. If this deal falls through with a guy that has a lightly used remanned head then I'll go with either odessa or clearwater as their prices are similar.

Back