• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift, now Rear Transmission Seal leaks?

w0lf19

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got the 3" RC lift on my 96 2wd Cherokee. However, now the rear transmission seal where the driveshaft connects at the tranny is leaking! And I have a bit of vibration at idle. What can be done about this? Do I need to do a drop on the crossmember like a TC Drop on a 4x4?

Well, my guess would be that there has always been a minor leak from the output on your tranny. The lift which would have put more pressure on the seal then in stock form causing what was a minimal leak to become a larger gap probably from the upper part of the seal. The engine and tranny have a slight tilt to the rear of the vehicle anyway. It's a $7 part at auto zone. Just pull the seal with a seal puller after removing the drive shaft install the new one reinstall shaft and you should be good to go.

Also it's a safe bet your driveshaft u-joints got 'used to' being in a certain plane...now with the lift and their probable age (unless yours are new) you will have a better chance at a new seal leaking soon as well due to the joints not liking their new position.

I'd do the seal and the u-joints. I think they are around $15 each.

And yes...you should be able to drop the X-member as if it were a 4wd...but I don't think you'll need to unless you have vibrations from the lift in the driveline.

Back