• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

difference in 231s

LittleDevilXJ

NAXJA Forum User
whats the difference between the pre 1996 np231s and 97 and up np231s? is it the tail shaft housing? if so could I take new tail shaft housing and put it on the case? or is the speedo sensor totally different?

Last edited:
The new ones are cheaper because there is no need for a seal that will keep the fluid inside the case. SYEs for older ones need to include an oil seal.

Depends on the actual year,other variables are spline count/spline length.The late model cases also deleted the needle bearing cages,it can still be done but you might need addditional parts.

i learned this one the hard way. my tcase on my 89 xj went out- i bought a used one from a 91-ish grand cherokee, both 231's, swapped the cases and jeep wouldnt move. i had to drop the case again and split both of them and swap out parts. the input shaft was a different spline count. i was able to swap my stuff, best bet is to split both and look. also, my speedo sensor on the cases were different. do it all in one sitting so you remember how to put it all back together:)

Back