• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Cherokee problem

Twister2gt

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a small noise that comes and goes from the front of the engine it is kind of a high pitched squealing noise I dont think it is the alternator but it is i could be the AC compressor clutch bearing. but i really think it is coming from a idler pulley. It looks like there is 2 on the jeep one is the one with one bolt holding it on and the other is the one that the cooling fan is bolted to. I have looked at autozone and other auto part stores for the one that the fan bolts to but can't find a replacement for it. Also if anybody had a picture off what this area looks like without a fan and pulley on the area i would really like to see it before i take it apart because i really think it is coming from the fan pulley. thank you.

drive-belt-routing_html_m5b2d0a6e.jpg
The one labeled Fan is the one i can't find a replacement for thought this might help make more sense of what i was talking about

The fan pulley bearing is pressed into the accessory bracket and isn't easily serviced. Some people have tried to press it out, find a replacement, and press it back in, but others have gone to the junkyard and bought a replacement bracket instead.

If you can scrape up $15 go buy a mechanics stethoscope, they are great to have on hand

This bearing is bad on my 88 XJ also. Has anyone got a part number or dimensions for this bearing? If not I will post the specs here when I get mine replaced. Thanks Wayne :wave:

Back