• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing transfer case

seigeXJ90

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to separate a 231 from my aw4... i've removed the linkage, breather tube, speedo cable, wire connector and 6 nuts and have tried everything i could to separate it from the transmission with no luck..

if I try to pry the two apart i can move it about a millimeter but it just snaps back together when I remove the pry..

i'm not worried about the TC (replacing it) as much as i'm worried about damaging the transmission output ...

what am i missing?? probably just not cranking it hard enough I guess but maybe there's something holding it back I don't know about...

Sounds like one of the steel studs in seized inside the aluminum mounting bracket. Same thing happened to me, I had to heat up/beat the stud until it broke free. Then the t-case came out like cake.

let the beating begin...what sucks is I don't have a lift or it up on jack stands... so I can't get any real leverage

Last edited:
Same here, I did the swap with the jeep sitting on its tires. Ive got a 5 spd so I was able to remove the shifter and easily access the top bolt/stud that was stuck.

oh well i'm done trying for the night.. it just went from 50 degrees to 35 in an hour ... one step forward ... two steps back... thanks for the info

well after pushing, pulling, prying, kicking and everything else :flamemad: .. i decided to try one last thing before I gave up again till tomorrow.. removed the last nut (#6) that I apparently forgot from the transfer case.. and guess what .. it came right off... :wierd: and got the new one on... funny how fast it goes when you do it right

well after pushing, pulling, prying, kicking and everything else :flamemad: .. i decided to try one last thing before I gave up again till tomorrow.. removed the last nut (#6) that I apparently forgot from the transfer case.. and guess what .. it came right off... :wierd: and got the new one on... funny how fast it goes when you do it right

I was wondering about that when you said it snapped back..........

Back