• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slim Rear Bumper

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I am in search of a rear bumper that meets my specs, but my searches are coming up empty. Hopefully you can recommend a few companies. Here is what I am looking for.

* I don't want to run a hitch. They sit too low. I want a bumper with the hitch built into the bumper.
* Tabs are preferred, but not required.
* I don't want a tire carrier. I like to keep my stuff in the Jeep.
* The big one. It needs to be slim / low profile.
* It doesn't need to wrap around the quarter panels, I don't think I am going to be chopping them anytime soon.

I am looking for a low option bumper that would be good for crawling yet offer some protection. It seems like everything I find is an ugly tube bumper, a tire carrier or looks like a huge box on the back.

Thanks for looking.

You don't like the JCR offering?

stage2rear2.jpg

picture.php

Minus the tire carrier of course. The rear quarters aren't cut and the recovery points and hitch are part of the bumper. If anything, just more food for thought.

P1030531.jpg

P1030128-1.jpg

not the best images, but my favorite by far. i like how the wrap around part is tapered, so things naturally slide to the back. and the second pick shows what he did with the hitch. uses the 8 bumper bolts and appears to run the entire length of the frame, like the nut strips originally would. looks home built...

as a side note, a build in hitch does you no good if the bumper only uses the stock bumper bolts. it NEEDS to tie into the frame rail some how. i wouldnt trust d-ring tabs either if the bumper wasnt.

* I don't want to run a hitch. They sit too low. I want a bumper with the hitch built into the bumper.

Be careful about getting a bumper with a built in receiver tube. Many companies just use a plain piece of tubing for the receiver tube and unfortunately this allows the ball mount to have excessive play.

A receiver tube is made to the proper inside measurements to make a tight fit with a 2" ball mount. One distinguishing feature is the collar as shown in the picture of the C-Rok and the Jeep with the Utah license plate. You don't want excessive play.

Keep this in mind when looking for a bumper with a built in hitch.

Be careful about getting a bumper with a built in receiver tube. Many companies just use a plain piece of tubing for the receiver tube and unfortunately this allows the ball mount to have excessive play.

A receiver tube is made to the proper inside measurements to make a tight fit with a 2" ball mount. One distinguishing feature is the collar as shown in the picture of the C-Rok and the Jeep with the Utah license plate. You don't want excessive play.

Keep this in mind when looking for a bumper with a built in hitch.

Yes be careful to make sure they didnt use just standard tubing BUT you CAN buy reciever tube stock in lengths which would not come with the collar you are talking about. That collar is for looks plain and simple.

What bumper is this? I like it a lot.

It's made by a guy just north of Denver named Jared. It's custom made but he devised a way to replicate the bends and angles. Check him out. www.fessybuilt.com He's a really cool guy and very patient.

My rear and front bumpers (both have receiver hitch insterts) are both tired into the frame and both actually keep it more rigid which I like.

P1030531.jpg

P1030128-1.jpg

not the best images, but my favorite by far. i like how the wrap around part is tapered, so things naturally slide to the back. and the second pick shows what he did with the hitch. uses the 8 bumper bolts and appears to run the entire length of the frame, like the nut strips originally would. looks home built...

as a side note, a build in hitch does you no good if the bumper only uses the stock bumper bolts. it NEEDS to tie into the frame rail some how. i wouldnt trust d-ring tabs either if the bumper wasnt.

thats my xj. its also bolted along the bottom of the chassis rails. i have some channel running down the inside of the rails bolted on the bottom in the existing hitch holes. definitly firmed it up a bit in the back. and the clearance is awesome.

thats my xj. its also bolted along the bottom of the chassis rails. i have some channel running down the inside of the rails bolted on the bottom in the existing hitch holes. definitly firmed it up a bit in the back. and the clearance is awesome.

You did an incredible job dude.

Back