• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about XJ and ZJ front coils

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
ok so here it goes

XJ front coils the front sits at 17.5" from hub to bottom of fender flare

so how high does the XJ up country sit? 1"?

if I put in ZJ v8 front coils I have heard 0" and I have heard +1"?

if I install ZJ Upcountry 6 cylinder coils?

and I have heard +2" for ZJ v8 upcountry coils

so can anyone tell me for sure?

ZJ V8 will net 1". ZJ 4.0L are the same as XJ from what I hear. As for the Upcountry's I don't know but good luck on finding one.

ZJ front coils are about 1-1.5" lift for an XJ.. Look at the Rubicon express website.. the 5.5" XJ lift coil is the same part number as the ZJ 4.0" lift coil

I put V8 zj coils on my contry I got about 2" and then a xj main leaf cut down for a full add a leaf and a dodge dakota over load leaf. I used my old U bolts so I took out the stock litter. The Leafs and the coils set my jeep with 2" in the front and 2.5" in the back. My sway bar links was junk so I grabed the v8zj ones and they are inch longer. with this set up and good sway bar bushing and good shocks I could do like 40mph on a 90 degree turn. The back in would slide before the body had any roll. It was a 4.0 ax15 with autotrans axles (3.55) - ax15 axles had (3.07 gears). I used it to tow a 16foot car trailer and I didn't know that xj's had a speed limiter on them. These was the best mods I did to it. The axles with new brakes, new stock shocks and the main leaf and a dakota leaf I had laying around ,the coil srings was 15 each

Last edited:
I have ZJ 4.0L coils up front. They give 1/2" of additional lift. ( on top of 2" poly spacers.)
The springs are just slightly more beefy than stock XJ coils.
According to my micrometer,
XJ coil diameter = 0.525"
ZJ 4.0L coil dia = 0.545"

Coil spring spacers provide an exact amount of lift ( just measure them) and you save the trouble of endless junkyard searches for ZJ coils, pulling the little bastards, and unknown lift results they provide. Coil spring spacers cost about the same as used Jeep coil springs, come is different sizes, and they are easier to find.

Coil spring spacers provide an exact amount of lift ( just measure them) and you save the trouble of endless junkyard searches for ZJ coils, pulling the little bastards, and unknown lift results they provide. Coil spring spacers cost about the same as used Jeep coil springs, come is different sizes, and they are easier to find.

well... I can make spacers for about $10 a pair or less :)

When I installed a Warm front bumper and winch I lost some (1.5"s) of my 3" lift so I traded out the XJ coils for ZJ V8 3" lift coils which brought me back to the height I wanted.

My advice to my younger friends is to install all the extra equipment and skid plates, then weight the finished product and build the lift based on the finished weight. I was surprised that I added over 1000 lbs before I was done.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

buying premade spacers isn't cheap enough already?

i got about an inch or a little less out of the V8 coils on my XJ
i have 1.75 spacers plus the V8 ZJ in the front
i am happy with the ride quality though.

Back