• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header glowing bright orange

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday, cel came on. temp guage fell down all the way. I drove on it for a little while til i stopped and popped open the hood. coolant temp sensor connector wiggled itself loose. This is when i noticed an orange exhaust and bad smells. plugged it back in, temp guage worked.

I'm not easy on my jeep, but i have never had this happen before.

But everytime i stopped last night, my header was glowing orange. and making bad smells.

brought it into work. checked the codes, ect temp sensor volts high (duh) cleared it. drove home. got home. had to plow my jeep uphill through about 18" of snow.

got up the hill and my header was glowing orange again making bad smells.

cat is about 10 months old (its the $50 itty bitty cat that everybody loves) so i don't suspect an issue there.

How do i make header back to its nice not dangerous happy rusty steel color?

a plugged exhaust or a lean mixture are what you're looking to alleviate.

disconnect the exhaust and see if it's better-- if not, you'd be looking at determining the cause of too much air/ too little gas in the mixture.

yeap. i figured that much. i was hoping someone would chime in with "hit the ______ with a rock and it will be fine" lol

i know if the ect sensor is sending the wrong signal to the computer it would cause a lean condition, but i fixed that, but its still rmaking pretty orange colors

the entire exhaust is in good shape and there is no loss of power.

long term fuel trim is around -3.5%

is this acceptable?

no codes

header still glows bright orange when under a load for about 30 seconds (snow wheeling) coolant temp didnt even get up to 150 degrees

all other values are good, 02's are switching, all sensors read correctly on the scanner

What really confuses me is that when it's that cold it should be running open loop, which is usually really rich.

I'm gonna bounce the dirty POS off the rev limiter a bit when I get home and see if it glows too.

interesting... fuel pressure? injectors plugged?

runs like a beast, but ill tackle those things tomorrow. i left work and its cold at home

heres a pic for fun

166312_510708695784_226300669_244708_2847441_n.jpg

Maybe it's just cool neon paint? ..Touch it to confirm its really that hot:dunno:

It acceptable but would indicate your running slightly rich...which is odd considering your header is glowing.

i thought negative indicated lean.

there were no specs on alldata as to where the fuel trims should be, but there is no cel either.

short term fuel trim bounces from -1 to -6 or so.

maybe i do have an exhaust obstruction?.

header- good shape installed in the fall
downpipe- stock, but physically no kinks
cat- installed in spring
muffler- installed a month ago
tailpipe-what tailpipe?

maybe a collapsed tube in the header (where its double walled) or my cat hates life.

weird, because there is no loss of power

BTW are all the outlets glowing? Is that stock?

its a 97 with the motor from a 95, stock header from a 96.

no performance parts at all unless you count my hi flow cat

all outlets glow

Fuel trim number are opposite from o2 sensor numbers.

a minus number indicates you are subtracting fuel
plus indicates your adding fuel.

Where as o2 sensor voltage is

Lean=low .1v to .45v
Rich=high .45v to .8v

I dont know the spec either but as a general rule, any thing under +/- 8 to 10% is ok, again that could be different for an XJ.

disconnect the exhaust and see if it's better--

Have you tried this? I'd give it a shot.

OR

You could throw a Vac gauge on it and it the needle drops slowly to zero that would indicate a plugged exhaust.

ordered the pipe from the header to cat. and both 02 sensors from rockauto

(header is mangled though not kinked, was going to replace it anyway, and the downstream 02 has been broken for a while)

ill take a peek in the cat (melty?) and header (collapsed wall?) while the pipe is out

thanks for the help so far. having something that hot inches from fuel lines doesn't sit well with me. thats how my last jeep caught on fire.

just too add to this sam..

when i mangled my downpipe so much the exhaust buzzed bc i was pushing fumes through say a 1" area my header never got this hot.

having something that hot inches from fuel lines doesn't sit well with me. thats how my last jeep caught on fire.
same. If I was going to do a doubler I'd probably flip the fuel delivery system + brake lines to the passenger side and the exhaust to the driver side, then be able to choose from a lot more axle donors due to the pass drop front axle. Kinda overkill just to keep the fuel and exhaust apart but hey, if it helps with other stuff at the same time...

my jeep hasn't caught fire though. Came pretty close when I punctured a tranny cooler line.

just too add to this sam..

when i mangled my downpipe so much the exhaust buzzed bc i was pushing fumes through say a 1" area my header never got this hot.

that was also for like 30 seconds and we never looked at the header

my jeep hasn't caught fire though. Came pretty close when I punctured a tranny cooler line.

lets see....

i have had fires from the following:
cracked brake pad
mud on exhaust
a u joint (yes, a u joint)
when my motor siezed by fuel line decided to dump fuel all over a hot header.

the last one was scary and i would like to avoid it lol

havent driven it in a little while but heres an update:

fuel trims are fine.

just took the exhaust completely off from the header back and stuck a vacuum in em'. there is no obstructions, very free flowing.

Back