• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Swap Question: Newer Style to Older

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 and my fenders are trashed. I have found that the pre '97 replacement fenders are considerably cheaper than the 97+. So I was wondering if I can mount the older fenders to my newer body style.

I know that the lines are slightly different (curved edge versus a more angled look) and that it doesn't quite match up on the top corner of the header panel. I think I understand that the way the older fenders mount is slightly different. However, after searching I can't find good pics of the mounting differences. I thought I read that there was a way to make it work, I just didn't know if it was a huge hassle.

I have to cut up the new fenders for tire clearance anyway, so I figured the cheaper the better, but not if it requires a significant amount of re-engineering to get things to bolt up.

Thoughts?

They will bolt on, but are angled at the top, vs the later models being round. Mounting is the same tho. So if you dont care much about the body line then go a head and put the older ones on. The front of the fenders of the older ones do come down farther so you may want to trim them.

They do not mount the same,you will need the brackets from an early model also.

The new ones bolted up to my Renix XJ just fine. Along with the newer header panel.
And some have used the pre-96 fenders when they swapped to the 2500 front end. Really do not see why they would not work. Only thing I could see MAYBE is the inner fender crap, but who needs those?

Back