• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple quick questions

RamlebXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright... the 89 laredo I scored is up n running nice, going to flush the cooling system and want to replace the thermostat. Whats a good brand/temp. range to go with on the renix 4.0?

Also I'm looking into removing the A/C system, since I've already chopped the door hinges so I can take em off when it gets hot out. However I want to keep the compressor so in the near future I can turn it into a OBA system. Is it okay to remove all of the components and still keep the compressor hooked up to the drivebelt? or should I just get a shorter belt?

BTW. Jeep went from 10psi on the oil pressure at idle to 45-50, settling to 40 after warming up. And instead of sounding like a sick donkey its purring like a nascar... header only of course ;) for now at least till I get a glass pack thrown on there.

Now I just need to wait till I can gather some leafs and GC springs so I can throw some 31's on there. A new windsheild and it'll be on the road. hopefully everything included under $1500 I'm at $800 now including the cost of the jeep!

By all means leave the compressor on, unless you need the space for something else like a high-mounted alternator. The compressor pulley is very well suited to running as an idler, which it does most of the time anyway, and you keep the standard belt. Whether it works well for on board air may depend a little on which kind of compressor it is, and how you manage the oil supply, but I drove my 95 with disarmed compressor for many miles and years with no ill effects. I don't remember now exactly when I ditched the AC but it was still functioning fine as an idler at 263K miles when I parked it for good.

Stant SuperStat Premium 195 degree.

I buy my stats from Jeep and also like the Stant SuperStat. 195 degree.

With a new-to-you vehicle, it's a good time to review the condition of all cooling system components including all hoses, heater control valve, (they get brittle and disintegrate) serpentine belt, fan clutch, radiator.

Alright so a stant 195 degree it is, also... i noticed ... my electric fan is not kicking on, now I havent had an issue with overheating yet, but what could cause this a relay? It should kick on with the ac right? im not sure on that. Anyway, going to have a buddy come over and drain the ac system. Then i can start dismantling the AC, I dont like having that cooler infront of my radiator anyway.

For the closed system you have an auxiliary fan switch "sensor" in the radiator, right close to the lower hose attachment. And yes, the auxiliary fan should kick in with the a/c running--unless the compressor isn't actually running due to low or high pressure.

Jumper power to the fan directly and see if it runs.

Yes, there is a auxiliary fan relay on the driver's side fenderwell.

Thanks Joe P. this will be part of my project tomorrow, along with the cooling system flushing. AC was drained today and for a 21 year old vehicle that sat dormant for the last couple years it still had a good charge in it. This weekend will be AC removal, front and rear brakes, and sheet metal work. Might make a simple front bumper since the stocker is beat to hell, lets see how much I can piss off my 8 month pregnant wife :hang:

Off topic apology.

......... lets see how much I can piss off my 8 month pregnant wife :hang:
Don't worry Ramble, we'll find the S.O.B......

(That was a quote said by the late Don Meridth to his pal and
co-host on Mon. Night Football, Frank Gifford, when Frank's wife
Cathy Lee was pregnant.)

All kidding aside, congrats on the new arrival!

Last edited:
Back