• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help. Busted dr side rear door window.

Rocketeer14

NAXJA Forum User
So... Sometimes stuff happens and last night it did. I slid around a corner and took out a mailbox. The mailbox had it's way with my drivers side rear door window. Is this something I can fix even though I'd have no clue what I was doing or is it advisable to go somewhere? Thanks.

1998 xj sport

If you are even slightly handy, you can probably do it. At this time of year, though, it'd be better if you had access to a warm garage, as it will be a learning process. Also, it wouldn't hurt to be near a pull-your-own yard, as that's where you'll learn half of the process.

The roll up portion of the window is straightforward and you should be able to do it yourself no problem. The fixed portion... couldn't tell you as I've never messed with those. Hope for one at the yard, my glass guy tells me they're pretty pricey new.

It's pretty easy. You need to take out the 3 or so screws on the door panel, remove the window crank if you have one (not sure if you need the tool for yours but on my 94 they just pull off.) then start popping it off.
I like to start at either the top left or top right and work my way to the other side. If you can't get it started with your hands use a large flathead.
Once you have it popped off lift directly upwards and it should come right off. If you have power anything you will probably have a wire harness or two to disconnect.
Then there should be a white or clear plastic covering the whole thing...rip it off and be careful not to get that black stuff on fabric as it probably will never come out.
At this point you will want the window about half way down so you can access the bolts.
I have only done front windows on a 98 but there should still only be 2 bolts through the glass in the back. Remove those bolts and get rid of whatever glass remains.

When installing the new glass make sure to remove the inner and outer window sash and carefully slide the glass in from the top(you will probably have to start it at an angle).

As for the small fixed portion...if it is broken take a small flathead and clean out the broken glass(compressed air helps too but MAKE SURE TO WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES!)
To install the new piece take a length of nylon rope and stuff it into the channel with one end sticking out.
insert the glass into the rubber channel as far as you can and then start pulling the string.
The string should help pull the rubber back over the rest of the glass. if you have a hard time doing this some soapy water should help.

Hope this helps you and the best of luck.

Back