• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more swap ??'s

frank bryant

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guy's my first ? ,, I have a 96' 4.0 aw4 d30front 8.25 rear 3.55 gear 231j case.. this is my dd jeep and it needs the t case and front diff gone through (have some bearing noise) ! have a chance to buy a 91' with like equipment ! so my ? is will the 91' tcase and d30 bolt in my 96' . I was thinking there was some spline issues between those years. I know its been ask before and I tried the search but didnt have much luck !! thanks

The D30 in the 91 is likely a D30 CAD vacuum disconnect axle. It will bolt in, and you can swap out the two-piece passenger's side axle and block off the vacuum motor mount area with a plate.

Both transmissions and t-cases should be 23 spline and medium input shafts so that shouldn't be an issue.

I use the Posi-Lok cable on my D30 CAD, but I do that because I run an Aussie Locker in it.

Here is a JP Magazine article on the D30 CAD and some alternatives to the vacuum motor: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...154_0904_dana_30_vacume_disconnect/index.html

JPMag's suggestion on drilling the fork and using a nut and bolt can be simplified by using washers on the shift rod to secure the fork in the engaged position.

Thanks again ! thats answers my question ! havent driven the 120 miles to look at the 91 yet but sounds like i m going to ! its supposed to be running but overheats on the road, but $350 is still a buy I think !! once more thanks Joe !

The transfer case will swap over, but you will want to swap the rear driveshaft as well. 95 down vs 96 up the transfer case rear output shaft design changed and so the driveshaft changed length by a couple inches. Since the 91 and the 96 otherwise have the same stuff (4.0, AW4, 8.25 rear) you should run into no problems, just bolt the transfer case up, swap the rear driveshaft, and away you go.

They stopped making the XJ D30 with vac disco in 1990. The wrongler kept getting it for a while more but the XJ didn't.

1991. 1992+ no D30 CAD.

My 91 doesn't have it, nor does the FSM describe it. Some still got it as stock was depleted but it was phased out in 1990. Actually it was only provided in earlier models that had the 231, since it was incompatible with the 242.

Back