• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure sensor

Fowler.Alex

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 01 with the 4.0liter. I accidently cracked the oil pressure sensor housing while replacing my cracked 0331 head. My oil pressure gauge now reads nothing and I have the check guages light, I can understand that. If I move the oil pressure sensor a little while the motor is running, it cuts off. Also won't start if I mess with it. Is there a safety feature or something that kicking it to do this? Thanks,

Alex

I don't see the correlation of moving the oil pressure and stalling the engine. hmmmmmm

Regardless, you need to replace that sending unit ASAP.

If the housing is cracked, that can lead to a catastrophic explosion of the housing and then you've got a massive oil leak and bigger fish to fry.

I recommend purchasing this piece directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. Worth the extra $20.

oil pressure sensor has +5 volt supply voltage going to it from the PCM...when you move the sensor it is probably shorting out the +5 volt circuit, which btw is feed to several other sensors that need to supply signals to your PCM to keep your engine running..ie: CPS, TPS, CKPS, etc... so, like birchlakeXJ advised, replace it before you create another problem, like smoking out your PCM, motor, etc..

X2 on what birchlakeXJ said. I'm driving my 96 on a cracked one right now (had to drive it home from the trail that way), but the new one is in the center console waiting for me to install it. If one little diaphragm pops (which is more likely with the sensor not holding the backside up) your oil is everywhere.

I don't believe the oil pressure sensor has +5 fed to it though, not directly at least. At least on the ones I've replaced so far, it is a single-wire sensor which is referenced to ground via the fitting it screws into. I'm not sure what its resistance range is, but I would be shocked if even shorting that wire to ground would stop the engine.

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR - BLACK 3 WAY
CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 K6 18VT/OR 5V SUPPLY
2 G60 18GY/YL ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL​
3 K167 18BR/YL SENSOR GROUND

cut and paste from the 01 XJ FSM.

If shorting the +5volt supply isn't killing the engine when he wiggles it, what is killing the engine?

Wow, interesting. I guess they changed that between 98 and 01... consider me corrected!

Just checked my 00 FSM and it shows that the oil pressure sensor and VSS are the only devices on that 5 volt supply line (it's the secondary 5 volt supply) but I still would not be surprised if a short on either 5 volt supply would take the ECU down for the count.

Thanks guys, I never thought about it shorting itself. Yeah if its gonna possibly fry the ecu then I'm getting one soon. Talked to the stealership today, $61 and some change, not too bad. Again Thanks.

Stealership at $60? They charged me $80!

What I've also found on occasion is that sometimes the dealer is selling the same aftermarket parts that you can buy elsewhere. That happens particularly in the case where there's an accident and the dealer is competing with local body shops for insurance dollars.

Stealership at $60? They charged me $80!

What I've also found on occasion is that sometimes the dealer is selling the same aftermarket parts that you can buy elsewhere. That happens particularly in the case where there's an accident and the dealer is competing with local body shops for insurance dollars.

yes, doublecheck that it's actually a mopar part. I saw a mechanic at the Honda dealership installing an autozone clutch the other day. I'm sure they told the customer it was getting OEM parts.

Bought the sensor yesterday installed it and works perfect. The box had a shipping label from Mopar but I can't remember from where. The sensor is made in Mexico, go figure. A little different from my stock sensor but seems to work good. It come from a Chrysler dealer, not just Jeep.

Back