• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Blinkers now no left flasher

loki_racer

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped out my turn signals with LEDs. I also swapped the blinker module/relay.

When I tried out the driver blinker, the front LED smoked like crazy and the rear did not work. The passenger side works fine. I swapped the front LED for another LED and it comes on, but the entire left side will not blink. The passenger side blinks just fine.

The emergency lights don't work either. When there is an LED in the front driver and the blinker is turned on, the dashboard blinker light only comes on half way and never blinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HISAXpswtE4

At 1:21 I apply the driver blinker.It dims the running light, but doesn't blink.

Any ideas?

I swapped out my turn signals with LEDs. I also swapped the blinker module/relay.

What year are we talking about, and which bulbs? I'm going through something similar and having seen a couple of other people have issues with this conversion would like to start tracking it to figure out if some model years have a different specific set of problems to others.

When I tried out the driver blinker, the front LED smoked like crazy

Sounds like a short, either in the bulb or at or near the bulb receptacle.

The passenger side works fine. I swapped the front LED for another LED and it comes on, but the entire left side will not blink. The passenger side blinks just fine.

The emergency lights don't work either. When there is an LED in the front driver and the blinker is turned on, the dashboard blinker light only comes on half way and never blinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HISAXpswtE4

At 1:21 I apply the driver blinker.It dims the running light, but doesn't blink.

Any ideas?

Bad flasher relay, bad bulb, bad turn signal switch, bad wiring - that's about all it really can be. As for specifics, I think you're going to have to start swapping bulbs around and spending some time with a DMM to figure out where the fault is.

1991 - THE MATRIX II LED BULB

I have a hard time believing it is a short, bad bulb, bad turn signal switch or bad wiring. Simply because I can put the LED on the passenger side and it works. I can also put the incandescent bulb in the driver side and it flashes just fine.

I'm not saying it's not those things, but if it were, wouldn't the issue occur for both LED and incandescent?

1991 - THE MATRIX II LED BULB

I have a hard time believing it is a short, bad bulb, bad turn signal switch or bad wiring. Simply because I can put the LED on the passenger side and it works. I can also put the incandescent bulb in the driver side and it flashes just fine.

I understand where you're coming from, but if smoke is coming out with that bulb in that position (and no other bulb causes that problem in that same position) then that suggests that something between that bulb and that circuit is at fault.

I'm not saying it's not those things, but if it were, wouldn't the issue occur for both LED and incandescent?

Understood, but the answer to that is only 'maybe'. One is likely made to different tolerances than then other, and those differences in tolerance may be the cause of your problem. Not to mention that the internal construction of the two are radically different; something that aggravates the LED may not affect the incandescent.

Getting back to it for a second, though, the smoke worries me. Is it possible something metallic was dislodged in the process of fitting the bulb, shorting it out? You may want to check inside the receptacle for burn marks, bearing in mind that whatever caused the problem may have vapourised in the process.

I'd also get a DMM onto the bulb terminals; it could have an intermittent internal fault you're unaware of, which would go some way towards explaining why other bulbs are OK in that socket.

Getting back to it for a second, though, the smoke worries me. Is it possible something metallic was dislodged in the process of fitting the bulb, shorting it out? You may want to check inside the receptacle for burn marks, bearing in mind that whatever caused the problem may have vapourised in the process.

Let's say this is the case (I think there was a short inside the LED), what would it have done to the XJ? Am I looking at replacing some other part of the XJ now because the LED shorted out?

Let's say this is the case (I think there was a short inside the LED), what would it have done to the XJ? Am I looking at replacing some other part of the XJ now because the LED shorted out?

Likely not, though you may want to give the light receptacle and wiring a once-over for damage.

Back