• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8mm wires worth it?

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Finally getting around to doing the full tune up today. Got both fuel filters, a new air filter, plugs, cap and rotor and some injector cleaner. Need to pick up the new wires and am wondering if the 8mm are even worth it? The whole point of this tune up is to eliminate a mis-fire that is causing some power loss.

Not likely.

First, and foremost, start every thread (or post) where you need assistance with YOUR BASICS--year, engine, etc., blah, blah.

Second, if you had shared your BASICS, you would get the most logical replies.

Ok, if you have a Renix--NO. Why? Because OEM or equivalent wires will handle everything the OEM ICM/coil combination can put out and a heck of a lot more.

Ok, if you have a 91-99 running a stock coil--NO. Why? Because OEM or equivalent wires will handle everything the stock coil is putting out and quite a bit more.

That leaves us with 91-99 running some kind of "hot" performance coil/igniton--Accel, MSD, etc.--YES, MAYBE. Why? While you would think a "hot" ignition system would give you something super, it actually isn't needed on MOST XJs. I say most because there are high performance 4.0s built to higher compression ratios and intended to run at higher RPMs. THAT is why you would want a "hot" ignition system--so that you get enough spark in a high compression environment at higher RPMs. Now, if you built an engine like that, then go for it. SO, if you have a "hot" ignition system and a stock 4.0, then go ahead--there isn't any benefit to the "hot" ignition or 8mm wires, but it will look pretty under the hood, but you don't need them.

Let the flame war begin.

I'm with Joe on this: with one minor exception. A set of HIGH QUALITY wires. A set of cheepo 8mm autozone wires might offer a performance gain of the same cheepo brand 7mm wires. Pay the extra to get a decent set of wires, and the stock spec wires wil give you all the performance available from the stock ignition.

While on the subject, don't bother with high-end specialty spark plugs. Everybody reports good results with standard Motorola plugs. I use standard construction single electrode NGKs, again, with good effect.More then a few people have spent a lot of money on high end plugs and reported LOWER performance and ignition problems, that went away when switching back to the stock-style plugs.

Also, did you get a cap with copper conductors? A lot of stores sell cheaper units with aluminum. Along with tbburg, I agree to stick with the basics on the plugs. I personally use Champion, which is what we use in the racer, because they work.

I'm with the rest on plugs--leave the clown plugs for the circus.

84-99, Champion or NGK V-Fire (my preference), 00-01 NGK V-Fire for the distributorless ignition systems.

84-99. Champion Coppers

00-01. NGK V-Fire or Champions

Do NOT use Bosch plugs. There have been more and more threads of certain (not all) people with misfire issues that are instantly solved with the switch back to Champions.

High performance wires offer less resistance, normally a good thing except in plug wires. If you wanna drop some money on wires get a set of OEM Mopars from the dealer. They will have the "proper" resistance values for your ign system.

Do NOT use Bosch plugs. There have been more and more threads of certain (not all) people with misfire issues that are instantly solved with the switch back to Champions.

I totally agree on avoiding Bosch. However, my '91 had Bosch super's in it (not platinum, just copper) and the gap was over .065 when I measured it and they were still firing. That absolutely amazed me.

When I did my tune up a couple years ago, I got the Accell super-tune kit. Came with cap/rotor, plugs and plug wires. the wires are 8.8m and priced by themselves cost clost to what the whole kit did. Runs great.

Back