• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differences in the AX15

new-xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ, and my transmission has seen better days. I wanna swap a lower mileage unit as well as service the slave cylinder and make sure everything is good to go...

my question is, if i found a AX15 from say a 95 (or some other year other than 90) what would my steps be for swapping it without much headache?

Its not that difficult really. You would want to keep the external slave from the newer unit. Also check the spline count on the output shaft to make sure it will mate up with your x-fer case

10-4, I did my research but my questions are with the pilot bearing and if it will require a different clutch kit and/or flywheel. Also, as far as I know all AX15's are 23spline OPS (via wikipedia)... So does anyone know about the clutch kit/bearing concern?

use whatever bearing/bushing comes with the clutch kit for that year trans.

The only difference is the location of the slave, and with it being external you need the fork stuff. The motor does not care, the t-case does not care. Just get the right bits for the clutch of that year trans and bolt it all up. Just remember that resurfacing the flywheel is not recommended. I'd probably go ahead and do a new master cyl as well, and you'll likely need the proper clutch line to route it to the different slave cyl location. Last time I had to deal with it I found Napa to be the only place with clutch hoses.

Back