• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck cranks but hesitates or hicuups

DaveVmax

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 cherokee and while im cranking it over it was almost seem like the starter dies then continues cranking.... or the engine will hicuup while its cranking.

once it gets started it runs fine...

brand new blue top battery, brand new starter, fuel pump, brand new coil, brand new cap, plugs are fairly new and wires are new.

oh yeah its a 4L renix

Long crank times on a Renix are common. That being said, if you're getting a hesitation, or "hiccup" as you call it while it's cranking, I would start looking at your grounds. If the Renix system isn't properly grounded, it creates all kinds of havoc with the system.

Long crank times on a Renix are common. That being said, if you're getting a hesitation, or "hiccup" as you call it while it's cranking, I would start looking at your grounds. If the Renix system isn't properly grounded, it creates all kinds of havoc with the system.

Yeah, hit your grounds really good.

Do a voltage drop test on the main cables: http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

AW4 or manual?

Could be a number of things--remote rod adjustment; ignition switch adjustment; NSS adjustment (AW4); starter relay; solenoid--all of those on top of the battery, cables, grounds that you have already checked/checking.

Back