• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding in rear

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Just had some asshat brake check me the other night for no reason. Needles to say I lost it; I ended locking em up and doing a 180 into the curb. Severely bent my rim, to the point that its touching the leaf spring and is almost at a 30 degree angle. I just picked up a spare today and threw it on. First thing I notice when I drive off is a rotational grinding. Basically it will grind on a small part of the wheel rotation. Also my brakes seem to lock up extremely easily now. I'm wondering wtf I could have broken to make such a sound. Would it be any of the axle components? Such as the axle shaft, ring & pinion? Or is my problem most likely within the brake drum?

You may want to start looking for another complete axle.

Took the rig into les schwab and had them replace the bent wheel as well as do a free inspection on the rear end. They told me the only thing I managed to break was the rear axle shaft, which I only bent. Now the hunt begins, I've been calling all over and cant find one thats used :(.

Find a "u-pull it yard"....I dunno about where you live but there are tons of XJ's at the one by me.

Some one on this board might even have one if you post in the for sale/wanted section.

A good friend of mine bent the spindle of his Dana 80 (no, that's not a typo) in his 01 Ram 2500 CTD when something similar happened to him.

You're lucky the whole axle isn't trashed. What axle is it, anyway?

Anyone know the torque specs for the 4 bolts holding the axle shaft in? The ones that go through the drum backplate and through the retainer plate on the axle. Also I just noticed that I bent the lower portion of the backplate. I'm gonna leave it for the time being get it all back together and see if it causes any issues.

Last edited:
Ugh, well just got it all put back together. The grinding noise is still present, but its not nearly as noticeable. A certain part of the drum is catching at the top of the backplate. I can see where the grinding has taken place between the drum and the backplate. Only question is how do I make it stop? I just put the new axle in and that helped tons. Maybe I'll have to bend the backplate back to fully fix it.

Back