• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I replace bearings +/- seals?

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 345K miles, 3" OME lift.

I am pulling out the axles of my 8.25 diff and installing a locker and disk brakes as a weekend project. I have no leaking from my axles now, but with 345K miles, should I replace any seals/bearings while I am in there doing the work?

If so, what would need to be replaced and should I go with OEM parts from the dealer?? The OEM parts certainly have performed well so far.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff-97XJ

dunno if I would do the bearings, they can be a pain. Check them (and the surface they ride on on the axleshaft) for pitting and scarring, etc. If they're bad, replace... if not run em till they are.

The seals are easy. Cost me 6 bucks plus tax for a pair of seals at autozone, took me about 5 minutes with a seal puller, small chisel, hammer, and seal driver to remove the old ones and install the new ones. We'll see how they last, if they turn out to be lousy quality parts at least it won't be hard to change them again. I replaced mine because the old ones were getting a bit crusty and as you said, I was already in there.

Congrats on that mileage! I love it.

I agree with Kastein, however if you have the money, time, a slide hammer, and a bearing/race/seal driver set, why not. You obviously have not cheaped out on anything else with that kinda mileage. I am a believer of "if you got it apart might as well".....

Back