• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another ebay snorkel

whatevah

It's Yellah!
Its just a snorkel, not really much that can go wrong. better then spending $400 on the ARB one.

Ordered it on Christmas and arrived yesterday. Looks ok, decent thickness to the walls, doesn't seem brittle. No instructions but does have the template, which is more important. I'll hold it against the fender tomorrow to confirm interference with the washer bottle.
168533_537329881521_207000444_31570658_6574027_n.jpg

Everybody loves a guinea pig... lol

if anybody cares, there is a part number "SJXJA" on the box. That brings up several results on google. This appears to be the manufacturer: "Telawei 4x4 Off-Road Accessories Factory" http://www.rv4x4.net/en/

anything made in china, the chinese will sell before it gets to the manufacturer who asked for it, or theyll just copy it exact and sell it anyway. they dont have the same, or really any patent laws over there.

warn, ARB, bose, sony, borla... you name it. itll be on ebay. alibaba (buy in bulk from china site) will probably have the snorkel on there too- i know they had the cherokee exhaust manifold on that site for a while.

Yeah the site I linked to was listed as the supplier on alibaba :) I picked it since they listed the part number, but several other supplies show identical parts in the photos. So who knows?

It actually looks fairly complete, but I won't know for sure until I install it. If I can find a pdf of the Safari snorkel install sheet I'll compare the hardware list. Need to find a cheap inline air filter first and figure out what to do about the washer bottle.

For the washer bottle you can use one out of a early style XJ since there was not in the fender and just extend the hoses and wiring and put if where it will fit under the hood.

I have confusing feelings about these things,, i mean,, the air intake on an XJ is already pretty high ,, if your going into water that deep ,, then man i hope you have no carpet or sensative electrics in your XJ ,, and your distributor better be airtight. I mean they look cool and all .. but is one engine and interior prepped for the snorkel's intended designed use??

I mean , THIS GUY is using his,, but who does this ? seriously?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNl-kusLBCo

Last edited:
Its just a snorkel, not really much that can go wrong. better then spending $400 on the ARB one.
Famous last words. Yes, there are a few things that could go wrong, like they leak and you ruin your engine. Or if they are cheap fiberglass they could crack if you hit it against a tree. I know for a fact Airflow is pretty strong.
DSC_0546_1.jpg

I have confusing feelings about these things,, i mean,, the air intake on an XJ is already pretty high ,, if your going into water that deep ,, then man i hope you have no carpet or sensative electrics in your XJ ,, and your distributor better be airtight. I mean they look cool and all .. but is one engine and interior prepped for the snorkel's intended designed use??

I mean , THIS GUY is using his,, but who does this ? seriously?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNl-kusLBCo
Who uses them? Seriously, a lot of people, which is why most people buy them.

Nothing happened to any of my electrical systems here, alternators fine, distributor is fine. I got stuck, and my Jeep sank to the passenger side from tire spin. It could just have easily sank to the driver side, and turned into a very bad day. Having been the second time this has happened, this is what finally prompted me to get a snorkel.
CoyHill037.jpg

The red line shows the level the water eventually got to before I was pulled out.
Notice the speaker and entire fuse panel is under the water. Over 4 years later, and having done no cleaning or anything of them, the speaker still works and nothing in the fuse panel shorted.

CopyofCoyHill034.jpg

Its not always water that deep, its when you go to enter the water that your hood dips low. Notice the clean front end, and the line on the hood the water level was at.
Kingston3-11-07005.jpg

I already did some of that work for you on the safari website it looks like your kit is missing the hose and maybe a bottle type thing.
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss1195hf/ss1195hf.htm

Actually, it does have the air hose, it's the hose on the left side of the picture I posted. It's just not extended.

I want to figure out a way to save the in-fender bottle if at all possible, I want as much space in the engine compartment as possible. I'm putting in a 25" air horn, so... I need the space. lol Maybe cut off the 90* elbow from the snorkel and make it go straight through the fender like the Airflow snorkel if there is clearance for the ECU.

Mocked it up against the fender this morning, the snorkel elbow is located where it makes complete contact with the bottle... no way of saving it. Bummer. I'll have to raid the junk yards for the elusive drivers-side mount washer bottle, I don't want to run the hoses over to the passenger side.

How's the snorkel holding up? Did you guys manage to find a path around the washer bottle? Did you end up getting on at the junkyard?

I'm also thinking of getting that snorkel..

Thanks..,.

It appears that he makes his money on the $60-$70 shipping charge. His ebay feedback isn't that great either. Looks like he sells a lot of Chinese knockoffs. Was it mailed to you from the U.S.?

I believe mine was sent ups from the west coast. I can check the tracking later tonight. I bought it from him specifically because it shipped from the US.

Back