• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Headlight Problem

DXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '95 with a Painless headlight wiring harness. The harness plugs into the factory plug that goes to the headlight. The factory harness triggers a relay to turn on the headlights powered from the battery. There is a separate relay for high and low beams. Many times when I turn on the headlights all the running lights light up fine but the headlights don't. Sometimes they come on after a couple seconds and sometimes I get them to turn on by pulling the knob in and out a few times. When they do not turn on, I can pull the high beam lever and the high beams turn on but go off the second I let go of the lever. The lights have never gone off on their own once they have turned on.

I have checked all the Painless connections and they all look good and tight with no corrosion.

Thoughts? Ideas?

could be the headlight switch, i also have an upgraded harness and had the same problem. i've had to replace the switch a couple times before i wired the new harness. it would overheat with the stock wiring and fail. for me when the headlights wouldn't come on i would have to reach underneath the dash and push/jiggle the wires going to the switch. i hope you have some foglights for when they go out on the road!

The switch is the first thing I would check, in particular the connector to the switch that likes to MELT.

After you have checked the switch, then you should test the relays in the Painless harness. They are very good relays, but like anything else they can start sticking after time.

I will finally have a chance to dig into it deeper this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions on where to start.

Back