• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shims with ruffstuff perches?

Snake2083

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching but can't find the answer to my question. I'm installing a ford 8.8 under the xj while I'm installing my RC springs. The springs come with angle shims pre-installed. Well, the Ruffstuff perches are quite a bit longer than the stock perches, I'm guessing to help prevent axlewrap. So the perches extend about an inch past the shims on both ends, lengthwise. My question is should I remove the shims before I install the axle, or not worry about it and install the axle with the shims installed? I'm not worried about the pinion angle since I'm going to jack the axle in place, bolt loosely, put the weight of the xj on the axle, set the pinion angle and then tack the perches in place. what could I use as a centering pin if I remove the shims? (to bolt through the leafs)

Remove the shims, install the perches at the correct angle, burn them in & call it a day. If you have to weld the perches on anyway, do it right & lose the band-aid that RC sent you.

Yeah, looking back at my question I would agree, doesn't make sense to leave shims on if I'm welding perches on anyways. Not even sure why I asked. Sigh, it's Monday morning.

Back