• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnect Sentry Key System?

1wayout

NAXJA Forum User
Ok of all days I go out to wheel in the new snow we have in SW Virginia and as I get in I drop my keys in the snow...no big deal right?..Well I insert ket into ignition, my steering wheel locks up, and the key will not turn in either direction...I checked fuses and unhooked battery. Still nothing. I even ran a hairdryer inside thinking this would solve the problem.....Is there any way to disconnect this system?

The key sentry does do anything but prevent it from starting. This sounds more like the shift/brake interlock is dorked. Try shifting in/out of park, putting your foot on the brake and moving the wheel while you try to turn the key.

You missed the basics, btw. Like what year are we talking about?

Tried all of that. 98 Sport. It's like it is in lock down mode. I cannot budge the shifter. Have tried turning the steering wheel it every direction possible.

Tried all of that. 98 Sport. It's like it is in lock down mode. I cannot budge the shifter. Have tried turning the steering wheel it every direction possible.

Okay - let's clarify something. You say you've tried turning the steering wheel, but also that the key won't budge. So does this mean that the key goes into the ignition lock and turns enough to unlock the steering column? If so, does it also turn far enough to start the XJ? If not, can you turn it in the opposite direction to the accessory position?

Is your key set into a grey or black plastic moulding? If black, you don't have the Sentry Key Ignition Module, so that's not a component of the issue. However: I have seen keys twist like a piece of taffy. If this happens, it may not contact the tumblers in the lock enough to unlock the column; with SKIM keys, even if the lock can be turned, it may not get enough contact to let the computer check that the key is the correct one for the vehicle.

Try some silicone spray on the blade of the key. Insert it into the lock and try twisting. Repeat a few times and see if anything loosens up; the steering column lock may not be releasing.

It almost sounds like your neutral safety switch may have taken a dump given that it won't shift out of park, but definitively ruling out what's going on with the key and column first would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like the Park Lock/Park Interlock cable is out of adjustment--that would account for the shifter being "jammed".

Remove the center console, there is a lock button on the cable, pull it up to release the cable, then pull the cable forward (towards the dash), then release the cable and push the lock button back down. Check the movement now.

Definitely sounds like the Park Lock/Park Interlock cable is out of adjustment--that would account for the shifter being "jammed".

Good call - I completely spaced on that one.

Ok need more specifics. I removed the center console. Where is this cable located? All I see is the wiring for the transfer case shifter and parking brake cable???

Back