• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 AW4

yjnick95

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ 4.0L AW4 np231 with 202,xxx miles.The issue that I am have is when I am driving at highway speeds 60 mph to 75 mph and it kicks down a gear it feels like its in between two gears and the motor has no power and it does not pick up speed. Now it does have that weird noise whistle noise that know seems to know what it is. The fluid and filter has been changed so that is good and i used dex III. Any ideas would be helpful.

Well, I would do the "free" stuff first.

Adjust the throttle pressure cable.

Test the TPS.

You already have good fluid/filter, and a**uming the fluid level is correct--checked after 20 minutes of driving.

You can adjust the shift cable, and then the NSS.

Post up how it shifts after you have done all of the above.

Ok, keep us posted up on things as you progress through the repair.

Good luck.

I found the cause of my issue. First I had a odd squealing coming from the transmission. I found the front pump seals bad causing it to bypass fluid. The next thing I found was torque converter had something broken badly inside. Pieces of metal chunks where coming out of it when I drained it. These chunks were big enough that the could not have from anywhere else. I installed a 98 transmission in it. Conversion was very easy. Just unplug the solenoid harness swap it to the new transmision,swap the in the rear speed sensor and harness. I also had to re use my NSS switch from the 97. So it made everything plug in play no wiring splicing. As for the front speed sensor on the 98 it is still there plugging the hole no need to remove it.

Did you swap the tail housing / 4wd adapter housing as well? When I tried the conversion by swapping the sensor I discovered the hole in my tailhousing was a different size from the sensor I was trying to install, I forget which was bigger.

I forgot about that part. Yes I used the 4wd adaptor from my 97 transmission. I also had to swap on the pulse thing also,forget what it is called now.

your write up doesnt give good insight to someone who knows nothing about swaps or the wires.

I have a 2wd 1997 and a 4wd 1999.

i am converting the 97 to the 99 4wd. What will i need? will mine be plug and play?

Back