• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing xj rear d44 to 8 bolt

sasq40

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering if this is possible. I know a 5x 5.5 is easy enough but looking at getting a front 44 thats 8 bolt. What's going to be the best way to make these the same

Well what would be involved in that. The one I'm looking at is the one on cf already done up with chromoly axles and such

For the rear you're probably looking at having new shafts made. I assume the 8 bolt pattern you're talking about is 8x6.5 and I don't think there's enough meat on the D44 WMS to make that happen.

The front you would just need matching outers of your choice, preferably some that matched the spline count of the alloy outers already installed.

To tell you anything more we need a lot more information from you about the axles in question.

ones built with 5.13 gears, ARB air locker with new pump and all wiring and such, chromo inner and outer shafts, trussed, high steer, new warn hubs, traingulated 4 link setup and setup for hydro steering (not included), came from a 79 F250 8 lug ford... was built and removed from a XJ.

The rear is out of a 87-90 xj and is pretty much stock cept gears and a spool. If I can make them work together I'll be getting beefed axles arb locker and matching gears

ones built with 5.13 gears, ARB air locker with new pump and all wiring and such, chromo inner and outer shafts, trussed, high steer, new warn hubs, traingulated 4 link setup and setup for hydro steering (not included), came from a 79 F250 8 lug ford... was built and removed from a XJ.

OK, so to convert that from 8 lug to 5 lug you would need 5 lug ford outers tat matched the spline count of the existing stub shafts.

The rear is out of a 87-90 xj and is pretty much stock cept gears and a spool. If I can make them work together I'll be getting beefed axles arb locker and matching gears
Well if you're going to be doing alloys in the rear then just have them made with a custom bolt pattern and make them match the front.
You need to decide whether you want 8 lug wheels or 5 lug wheels and find the parts to conert one. The parts are available for either axle to match the other, so pick whichever option tickles your fancy or is the cheapest.

If that front hasn't been narrowed, the rear 44 is going to be quite a bit narrower. The front is 67" WMS and the rear is 60" WMS

Or get a D-60 from a dodge 3/4 ton 1967-1993. It will bolt into an XJ with the only mods needed being the pinion yoke (1310 D-60 yoke OR a hybrid 1310/1330 joint) and then the u-bolts and spring plate.

THen you will have the correct width rear axle and your 8 lug BP. Put the right gears in it and a spool (you'll need a new carrier anyway) or get a detroit.

If you want to convert an F250 3/4-ton D44 to 5-on-5.5, you have to use 1/2-ton knuckles and all 1/2-ton components. Use early Chevy or Jeep knuckles for flat-tops, or Ford knuckles for non-flat top.

Everything you ever wanted to know about a Dana 44 or 60... great tech for swappers and parts interchange Mr. N's. I believe I would use Chevy flattop knuckles to keep your high steer options open. The site should tell you everything you need to put it together.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

OP says REAR I am an idiot! The site I have will still give you great options.

Last edited:
bumping this thread up from the dark, my buddy just bought a fullwidth HP44 already setup to bolt into a xj/tj/mj with all new brake parts, steering, ball joints etc... It was originally gonna go in a comanche buggy but he decided to shift gears and now wants to sling it under his tj that sees street time. he's thinking about narrowing it to waggy or even tj rubi width inners so it'll match his 44 rear.

Long story short the front axle is 8x6.5, rather then swapping all the front end parts to 5x5.5 and buying rear axle shafts that are double drilled does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a tj 44 rear shaft that is drilled for 8x6.5? or anyone that would make a set? I figure discs would be relatively easy to source and setup so the shafts are the only missing part of the equation.

Back