• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Key will not release

RAM-ROD

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. 2000 / auto with 86,000 miles. This morning when i went out to start the heep it started right up when i went to back out of the drive way. ( very slight incline i park on) The button on the shifter did not want to push in. After playing with it ( insert joke) a bit it did shift to reverse all gears worked fine on the way to work and it shifted right back to park. Parking pawl is holding heep in place but when i went to turn it off the key will go all the way back to the last position right before the release positon.:doh: Where would you look first? Igniton problem or somthing to do with the sensor for park? Thanks for the help.

there's a cable that runs from the shifter to the steering column that allows you to remove the key (and turn the lock that last detent) only when in park. It is adjusted from under the console trim plate, but I've forgotten the procedure. It should be on here somewhere-- try "shift interlock adjustment" or some variant on that in the search function.

Agree with Shorty--search for "Park Lock Cable".

there's a cable that runs from the shifter to the steering column that allows you to remove the key (and turn the lock that last detent) only when in park. It is adjusted from under the console trim plate, but I've forgotten the procedure. It should be on here somewhere-- try "shift interlock adjustment" or some variant on that in the search function.
Thanks to both of your guys. Will look for it right now.

Back