• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting rear tow hooks on XJ

SDNDBA

NAXJA Forum User
I need some ideas. I have signed up to go to MOAB but need to finish putting some equipment on the 1988 XJ. My question is how do I mount tow hooks on the rear? This is the problem. My XJ Laredo does not have the bolt nuts in the frame. So... there is no way to just bolt up tow hooks or for that matter my gas tank skid.

Does anyone have some ideas as to what brackets (where to get them). The only clean option I see is to spend $$$ on a bumper but that's not going to happen this month. So how do I mount tow hooks in this situation?

Thanks,

There is a stock reinforcement bracket that the factory tow hook mounts to. This bracket also strengthens the frame rail when pulling at an angle. This bracket will not work with a receiver hitch, but if you have a receiver hitch, you don't really need a frame mounted tow hook because you can use a receiver hook or ring.

raceready said:
There is a stock reinforcement bracket that the factory tow hook mounts to. This bracket also strengthens the frame rail when pulling at an angle. This bracket will not work with a receiver hitch, but if you have a receiver hitch, you don't really need a frame mounted tow hook because you can use a receiver hook or ring.
I think you can still buy the bracket fromt he dealer, should cost very much.

IntrepidXJ, raceready,
Static-XJ,

Thanks for the input. So... from what you have all stated, the best route for the moment is to get the OEM brackets, or have a bumper put on with a hitch. Will the hitch setup pass the inspection at the rally in MOAB. Because of the cost I think I will have to locate OEM brackets. Still, I don't know why the nuts are not welded in the unibody frame. Don't know now I'm going to mount up the gas skid plate.

Thanks.

oem rear tow hook bracket, part #52000712 from the dealer, approximately $23. I got mine in June so they are still available. I used grade 8 hardware to mount mine.

Johnny

lobsterdmb:

I will try to get the OEM part #52000712 from the dealer.

Thanks everyone!

One more thing, what bumper (lower-cost) is the best deal when I go with the bumper. My front has the ARB bull bar.

I don't know what that part number gets you, but I can tell you that the factory rear tow hook bracket assembly for the 2000 XJ consists of a two-piece bracket, and it requires the factory nut strips in the frame to bolt to. The nut strip is available from dealers, and that costs $17. Now you're at $40, you haven't yet bought a hook, and you only have one of the two pieces for the mounting bracket.

BTW, the factory setup for the rear is only on the driver's side. On the passenger side, the tailpipe hanger occupies the space where the hook goes on the driver's side.

Short of buying a hitch bumper, the cleanest and easiest way to get a rear tow point is to buy a class III receiver hitch. The Hidden Hitch unit is very nice and is available from J. C. Whitney for a little over 100 clams (plus shipping).

Hello Eagle,

I was afraid that the nut strip was going to be a problem. Still how the heck do up put nuts in a closed up/end frame. I think I'm going to look into a hitch or bumper that has the hitch.

Thanks,

It requirs 3 bolts and nuts. 2 for the bracket are easy to get to, and for the third, i have smaller hands and was able to get it in a nearby factory hole to get a nut in place. I used grade 8 hardware for all 3, not a nutstrip.

Johnny

lobsterdmb said:
It requirs 3 bolts and nuts. 2 for the bracket are easy to get to, and for the third, i have smaller hands and was able to get it in a nearby factory hole to get a nut in place. I used grade 8 hardware for all 3, not a nutstrip.

Johnny

This is not a safe installation. The frame "rails" are fairly thin sheet metal and by themselves are not strong enough to withstand the loading of a hard yank on a tow hook. That's why the factory put the nuts on a heavier insert of steel strap rather than weld the nuts directly into the frame rail.

I do agree that the metal is then and would be concerned. I need to see what the steal strap looks like and how to mount it to the frame rail. The more I look at this the more I find myself looking at just takin the hit and getting a rear bumper with what I need.

i will also suggest the nutstrips from the dealer.. theay are about 10" long and line up with all the holes already in the frame... as will any quality receiver hitch .. a few grade 8 bolts up into the frame and its done.. the only PIA i see is most likely removing the rear bumper to put the strips in the frame.. the nutstrips have 5 or 6 nuts on them that extend farther than the hitch does and i assume they are for the skid plate installation..
try this post for questions about tech inspection at Moab.. rear tow points seem to be the big topic
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9587
mike

I used the bolt and washer method to remount my rear hitch. I did it last week, this week I am replacing it. I tore one side through the frame rail, yesterday. Now I am having 1/4 steel plate fabbed up, to cover/replace the damage.

I suggested this method for mounting a Gas tank skid to another Jeeper, NOT GOOD!

sidriptide, w_howey,

Good info, thanks. I guess I'll go see about the nut strip to support the gas skid plate. I was thinking of just getting out the welding torch and having at it :) Guess I'll start looking into a rear bumper. Thanks again.
I'll go to the other fourm and check out the information in there too.

Problem of rear tow hooks resolved.

Ok, so I took the XJ to LAYTON trucks here in the Springs and had them mount a class III hitch to it. They also put on the gas tank skid plate. They said it was difficult to get the hitch mounted and the stock skid plate. They're not made to bolt up together very well but they did it.

So... except for a few minor adjustments the XJ is ready. I decide to put my CB on Ch 19 for trip and call sign of "XJ 532". See you in Moab! :D

Thanks everyone.

No way around it....

You have to pull the rear bumper to put anything on that requires frame reinforcement. Even if you put an aftermarket bumper on you STILL have to put the strips in to attach and reinforce the bumper for any kind of attachment point. When reassembling that back end use plenty of anti-seize on the bolts, it gets plain nasty back there, at least in the North East.
In my case I cleaned and repainted the brackets and hook [which was a 3 hole steel horse $15 hook]. When you get the nut cert plate and bracket take them to a good hardware store and get the appropriate bolts. I reused all my skid plate bolts to mount the bracket as they were plenty long enough and only had to buy two nuts/bolts/lockwashers for the part that attaches to the cross member.
One note, that rear hook setup from the factory is a heck of alot stronger than the front factory brackets. There is not alot there to bend like the front hooks which twisted a tad the first time I used them on an almost straight pull.

To get the "inside" reinforcement bracket into the frame you MUST remove the rear bumper. It slides right in place then. The L shaped mounting bracket hooks into the two weld nuts in the reinforcment bracket and you use a bolt for the tail. The same reinforcement bracket is used when mounting a hitch as well.

I'll try to get pictures up of my installtion, add some keywords so this doesn't come up again. It's even a bit confusing in the FSM and the parts list.

The hook mounts to 2 weld nuts on the exterior L bracket.

Back